Re: EA's "Project 10 Dollars"

news:mdnon5pv9j9785b809on2c7amu1jgqeopq@xxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:46:55 -0800 (PST), Tom <jimvernes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Feb 16, 9:15 pm, Jordan <lu...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Feb 16, 4:29 pm, Doug Jacobs <djac...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Wait a second, I'm a bit confused here.

> EA is somehow locking away part of the original game unless the 2nd
> hand
> owner forks over $10 to EA?

You know how most games these days have a "Downloadable Content" menu?

If you buy a used copy of Mass Effect 2 then you have to pay to access
the menu called "Downloadable Content". This is not a fee for the
content itself, it's a fee just to enter the menu. A cover charge if
you will. Then you still have to pay for the content you find inside.

- Jordan

And I really don't see the issue with this at all. IF one buys the
game used, then EA, MS, Sony, etc don't make money on the licenses.

Neither does Ford or Toyota when a used car is sold privately. Neither
does an author when a book is sold. Etc.

That's a very poor analogy as most people who sell their cars used are going
to buy another car for themselves. I am not going to sell my games used to
just go out and buy the same game again retail.

Huh? Same game? I can sell a car, and buy a different car from a
different manufacturer. Or buy something else entirely. Or burn the
money. Whatever.

Again, your initial analogy doesn't work as I already pointed out. It doesn't matter if you buy a different car, you're still buying a new car if you sell your older one.

Same with a game. Sell the old one, buy a different one from a
different manufacturer. Or do whatever with the money.

What does your sale of your used game that you bought retail have to do with EA charging those who bought a used game a fee to access the content you got that came with the initial retail sale, regardless of whether you bought an entirely different game? How does buying a totally different game make the used game you sold somehow get a free pass from this access fee? This also has nothing to do with comparison to the resale of a car.

It's the same thing, it's my property, and the manufactuer should have
no interest in the matter once I've bought something.

They don't care, and that's not at issue. You do not own the game in its entirety, you just own the disc that has the game on it and you paid money to be able to play it as much as you want. You cannot copy it and sell it, because you don't own the game itself. The software developer doesn't care what you do with the disc as long as you are not violating copyright laws. If you want to break it, feel free.

  • Re: NCAA 07 dissapointing
    ... First of all, it's a football game. ... They buy up franchises and studios, ... They "sell product". ... When they bought off the rights to own football in gaming, ...
    (alt.games.video.xbox)
  • Re: What have you been playing in MAY?
    ... Sin Episodes: Emergence: Bought this on a whim one evening after work ... the atmosphere of the game. ... a clear head-on shot at the car, as it initially approached the book ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action)
  • [Review] Bolide
    ... the race out to where it is a superbly fun, enjoyable game but doesn't ... car movement without being overly complicated. ... Before players move their car for the first time, ...
    (rec.games.board)
  • Re: What should I do with this High Speed?
    ... I bought it for $600, and the board work it needs will run me about ... If you bought it because you like it, fix it up the way you want it ... If you bought it to flip it, do the board repairs first so the game is ... allow you to sell the game as working to someone else who can decide ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • Re: NR2003 entry fee $100. How many new guys pay it?
    ... FWIW, even back to NR04, When the patch was done, the GD game worked, to the ... IMHO they spent more time racing a car at the ... to not get a BF while racing NSR is to sit in the pits, ... 1983Microsoft Windows was announced November, ...
    (rec.autos.simulators)