Re: EA's "Project 10 Dollars"

news:mdnon5pv9j9785b809on2c7amu1jgqeopq@xxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:46:55 -0800 (PST), Tom <jimvernes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Feb 16, 9:15 pm, Jordan <lu...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Feb 16, 4:29 pm, Doug Jacobs <djac...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Wait a second, I'm a bit confused here.

> EA is somehow locking away part of the original game unless the 2nd
> hand
> owner forks over $10 to EA?

You know how most games these days have a "Downloadable Content" menu?

If you buy a used copy of Mass Effect 2 then you have to pay to access
the menu called "Downloadable Content". This is not a fee for the
content itself, it's a fee just to enter the menu. A cover charge if
you will. Then you still have to pay for the content you find inside.

- Jordan

And I really don't see the issue with this at all. IF one buys the
game used, then EA, MS, Sony, etc don't make money on the licenses.

Neither does Ford or Toyota when a used car is sold privately. Neither
does an author when a book is sold. Etc.

That's a very poor analogy as most people who sell their cars used are going
to buy another car for themselves. I am not going to sell my games used to
just go out and buy the same game again retail.

Huh? Same game? I can sell a car, and buy a different car from a
different manufacturer. Or buy something else entirely. Or burn the
money. Whatever.

Again, your initial analogy doesn't work as I already pointed out. It doesn't matter if you buy a different car, you're still buying a new car if you sell your older one.

Same with a game. Sell the old one, buy a different one from a
different manufacturer. Or do whatever with the money.

What does your sale of your used game that you bought retail have to do with EA charging those who bought a used game a fee to access the content you got that came with the initial retail sale, regardless of whether you bought an entirely different game? How does buying a totally different game make the used game you sold somehow get a free pass from this access fee? This also has nothing to do with comparison to the resale of a car.

It's the same thing, it's my property, and the manufactuer should have
no interest in the matter once I've bought something.

They don't care, and that's not at issue. You do not own the game in its entirety, you just own the disc that has the game on it and you paid money to be able to play it as much as you want. You cannot copy it and sell it, because you don't own the game itself. The software developer doesn't care what you do with the disc as long as you are not violating copyright laws. If you want to break it, feel free.

.