Re: Sony platforms dominate Japanese hardware chart

On Mar 17, 4:58 pm, "Tom" <no...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"The alMIGHTY N" <natle...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in messagenews:c1bcb7ac-a589-4ee7-8ec3-75381c92778c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Mar 16, 5:23 pm, "Tom" <no...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"The alMIGHTY N" <natle...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in
messagenews:7d41650c-a162-4185-abd1-e3078514dbdd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Mar 14, 5:12 pm, Blig Merk <blig_m...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The PS3 is starting to outsell the Wii by almost 2-to-1 now. Everybody
knew the Wii was going to hit a saturation point.

Or sales just dropped after the holidays like with the other two
consoles:

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii®1=Japan&cons2=PS3®2=J...

Note that all 3 consoles followed the same sales trends since December
2008. The 360 saw a little bump a few weeks back thanks to Star Ocean
and then the Playstation 3 saw a bump thanks to Resident Evil 5. Once
that's out of the way, everything will normalize again and all 3
consoles will be back to the slow sales typical of this time of year..

Japan led the way to
huge Wii sales and Japan is leading the way to Wii sales rapidly
falling.

Since when has Japan "led the way" for anything? Wii sales were huge
in all markets regardless of what Japan did and didn't do. Japan
hasn't been a relevant market for a decade now.

The PS3 sales are really starting to pick up and will just
gain momentum.

Are they? You're going to judge this based on a couple of weeks of
data, which is less than what Xbox 360 fanbois had when laughing about
how the 360 was outselling even the PS3 during a month or so in 2008..

The PSP is selling strongly also, meeting or beating
individual DS sales. Japan is being hit hard by the global economic
downturn and it shows the strength of PS3 sales when they are still
increasing during this time.

Hasn't Japan been in an economic downturn for a decade or so now? I
doubt that they're in much worse shape now than they were a few years
ago, as opposed to people in the U.S. where we're in MUCH worse shape.

Actually Japan is in as bad of shape or worse than we are right now. They
have been in deep shit since 1989 when their housing market took a big
dump,
just like ours now. They had a small rebound by around 2000-2001, but it
started tanking again. The government there has been proposing another
bailout (like they did in the early 90s) much bigger in scale than our
own
here, something well over $800 USD. They have been going like this for
almost 20 years now and cannot shake the funk.

Their biggest concern is their exports are down since China has planted
many
roots on the world export exchange and the fact that the Japanese built
quite a few of their manufacturing plants of some of their biggest
companies
in countries that buy the products the most (like Toyota, Nissan, Honda
having plants here in the US for example). That takes away from money
being
made by the average wage earner there, just like our wage earning
manufacturing jobs went to China and India.

What I meant was that while the United States has crashed pretty hard
in the past year or so, Japan hasn't. Japan's been in bad shape for a
long time so where they are now compared to where they were a few
years ago is not as big a difference as where we in the U.S. are right
now compared to where we were a few years ago.

If you want to simply put a specific timeline on the situation of the
economies between the two countries, then you'd be right. But overall, Japan
is in worse shape than we are, relatively speaking.

I don't deny it. I was just emphasizing that my original point wasn't
that Japan was in better shape but that they've been in bad shape for
a while - Blig insinuated that Japan experienced as sharp a drop as us
so that the PS3 seeing increased sales should be that much more
impressive.

Now, if the PS3 saw triple digit percentage increases in sales here in
the United States over a few weeks despite *OUR* economic crisis,
*THAT* would be impressive.

And, really, if the Japanese government only needs spend $800 USD to
bail their economy out, they can't be in that bad shape, right? ;-)

LOL, I guess a 'b' behind that monetary figure would have been helpful.
Anyway, if they need over $800b in another bailout (like I mentioned they
had nearly 20 years ago), then they are stuck unless they make serious
changes. One thing that is killing the Japanese economy, is that they are
the healthiest, longest living people on earth per average, and the
retirement/medical care entitlements are killing them.- Hide quoted text -

  • Re: Sony platforms dominate Japanese hardware chart
    ... knew the Wii was going to hit a saturation point. ... Japan led the way to ... huge Wii sales and Japan is leading the way to Wii sales rapidly ... The PS3 sales are really starting to pick up and will just ...
    (alt.games.video.xbox)
  • Re: Sony platforms dominate Japanese hardware chart
    ... knew the Wii was going to hit a saturation point. ... The 360 saw a little bump a few weeks back thanks to Star Ocean ... consoles will be back to the slow sales typical of this time of year. ... in all markets regardless of what Japan did and didn't do. ...
    (alt.games.video.xbox)
  • Re: Sony platforms dominate Japanese hardware chart
    ... >> knew the Wii was going to hit a saturation point. ... > Note that all 3 consoles followed the same sales trends since December ... >> huge Wii sales and Japan is leading the way to Wii sales rapidly ... One thing that is killing the Japanese economy, is that they are the healthiest, longest living people on earth per average, and the retirement/medical care entitlements are killing them. ...
    (alt.games.video.xbox)
  • Re: Sony platforms dominate Japanese hardware chart
    ... knew the Wii was going to hit a saturation point. ... Japan led the way to ... huge Wii sales and Japan is leading the way to Wii sales rapidly ... The PS3 sales are really starting to pick up and will just ...
    (alt.games.video.xbox)
  • In Japan, a lonesome bridge offers U.S. a lesson
    ... Japan: The Hamada Marine Bridge soars majestic over this small ... spending have showered this city of 61,000 mostly graying residents ... to spend more than $820 billion to stimulate the sagging U.S. economy, ...
    (misc.invest.stocks)