Re: Blu-Ray is finally coming to the 360? new rumor

On Jul 1, 8:46 pm, Doug Jacobs <djac...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tom <jimver...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I don't think it will need that really, because at 6X on BR, it then
smokes 12Xdvd reading speeds by nearly double. I would even bet that
next gen might be 8X or higher. Strategically placing data on the DL
BR disc so seek times are reduced, would blow away anything I've seen
to date. Imagine no load times and little hiccups without having to
pre-load games.

Still slower than a hard drive.

You may not use the drive for "installs", but caching an entire level, for
instance, makes a lot of sense.

--
It's not broken. It's...advanced.

Doesn't matter in the context I was using; it will blow away the 12X
DVD drive the 360 uses if that is ever a speed for BR. If the 360
doesn't have the need to write to the HDD, then certainly a 8X BR
player would never need it. The fact that it would be well more than
double the speed of a 12X DVD player, would make the need for caching
to the HDD a non-issue. You think having to read faster than 288Mbps
is really going to be needed?

  • Re: HDD reads slower and slower...
    ... > showed the same results for slow disk access speeds. ... > Random Access Time: 18.82 ms ... > Linear Verify Speed: 5094 KB/sec ... I noticed the HDD was reading slow like less than 3 ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: Internal HD > External USB drive transfer speed varies wildly
    ... lurches to a crawl, speeds up a little again, slows down, speeds up, etc, ... While data transfer speeds involving USB external HDDs are not exactly ... Needless to say those are awfully slow speeds even for a USBEHD. ... from the USBEHD to the internal HDD? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Difficulties copying home video DVD
    ... About the only way to tell for sure is to test it in your DVD player. ... You may also need to try out various media to see which works ... Also watch the write speeds and make sure that your media is capable ... You have slow recorder so probably not much ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Optiplex GX270 SATA 3Gb/s capable ? Ghost oddities...
    ... yes, you need updated drivers. ... Is the Dell Optiplex GX270 SATA interface capable of 3Gb/s speeds? ... I ghosted the existing HDD to a new 3Gb/s HDD, and when I rebooted, Windows XP started, but hung up on the blue XP logo screen. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: HDD reads slower and slower...
    ... >> showed the same results for slow disk access speeds. ... >> Fast Test: ... >> Random Access Time: 18.82 ms ... I noticed the HDD was reading slow like less than 3 ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)