Re: Blu-Ray is finally coming to the 360? new rumor

NiGHTS <nightsintodreamsYOHOLMES@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What I'm curious about is presuming Blu-Ray is used in next gen hardware
as well and we have faster drives by then, will consoles *still* end up
installing to HDD? I worry the PS3 has opened the gate for future
consoles to do that.

I think it will. However, the faster drive speeds will hopefully mean
that installs will be faster. Hopefuly developers will also figure out
better ways to "hide" the install process, rather than just saying
"installing..." or showing a stupid slide show. For instance, starting up
an RPG for the first time could do the install while the game's opening
movie plays for a few minutes.

Even as blu-ray drives get faster, they're still an order of magnitude
SLOWER than hard drives.

--
It's not broken. It's...advanced.

  • Re: Blu-Ray is finally coming to the 360? new rumor
    ... as well and we have faster drives by then, will consoles *still* end up ... an RPG for the first time could do the install while the game's opening ... Any truth to MGS4 hiding installs/load times behind certain cutscenes? ...
    (alt.games.video.xbox)
  • RE: Install problem
    ... I didn't know about the alternate consoles. ... When I do "linux noprobe" instead, the SCSI controllers are not identified ... The only hard disk is SCSI. ... test install of RedHat 7.2 last week just for kicks and that went fine. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: mini ftp iso install problem: acpi
    ... > John Bailo wrote: ... >> I have been trying and trying to install the ftp iso 9.3 ... > If I look at the consoles I see ... Correction, tty01 actually says: ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • FC3: Garbage on text consoles
    ... I'm running FC3 and have all the latest updates installed. ... identical on all consoles. ... and attempted to install a Matrox video driver. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: customized mmc console
    ... I'm not aware of a way to install just part of adminpak.msi. ... possible using group policy like gpedit.msc to restrict which consoles they ... > client machine if I give them a customized MMC Console with only account ... > lockout capability. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)