Re: Silverskin on Tri-Tips

"Sqwertz" <swertz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:1ldqoehu9m9jr.dlg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
It's been years since I've cooked tri-tips. I got a 4-pack at
Restaurant Depot for $3.09/lb and cooked one each of the last 4 weeks.
3 of them had a thick layer of silverskin under the fat cap. I don't
remember tri-tips having this layer of silver-skin under there. You
had to lop off the whole fat cap to get the silverskin off of there
before slicing. Is the silverskin under the fat cap normal?

YES.

Also, 2 of these puffed up to half their width and more than twice
their height I suppose that silverskin had something to do with that
as well.

The muscle usually grows in height as the heat seizes the meat.

Overall, I wasn't impressed with the trimming (huge fat cap) and the
siklverskin on both sides of the tri-tip, I felt \I get better quality
at CostCo. Tastewise and pricewise they were fine. I was able to buy
only 13lbs worth to get the same price I would at Costco having to buy
20-23 lbs (otherwise at CostCo it's $5/lb at Costco for less than
20lbs).

The SLO county grillers usually leave the fat cap on during the grilling process - then just before serving they cut off the fat cap and re-brown/re-grill the area where the fat cap has been removed.

As tri-tip should be sliced across the grain the silver skin has little or no consequence. sometimes I remove it sometimes I don't.

Dimitri

.