Re: On horizontal pits

On 4/10/2010 7:05 PM, Omelet wrote:
In article<4bc0de1f$0$9007$ec3e2dad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"Brick"<hrbricker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 10-Apr-2010, Omelet<ompomelet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

At the moment, I have bricks in the main pit and just use the offset
firebox to cook. There is a pretty bad grease buildup now in the main
pit so I plan to clean it well before using it next time. I'll probably
just toss the bricks out in the yard and let the elements take care of
the cleaning of them.<g>

Would it be beneficial to replace those bricks with lava rocks for heat
retention in the pit? The addition of the bricks really did help with
maintaining stable temps...

I guess I should learn to use drip trays too to save myself on cleaning
chores... I've heard horror stories about grease fires in these types
of BBQ's. Will steel cookie pans work? What do y'all use as drip trays
to take the heat without becoming carbon over time?
--
Peace! Om

No bricks in my offset. Grease drains to bucket under drainhole at
end distant from firebox. I scrape trash out of the barrel about twice
a year. Other then that, Nada. I transfer captured grease to covered
#10 cans and take to recycle a few times a year along with deep fryer
oil.

Interesting idea. :-) But like I said, the bricks have helped with heat
stability. That's especially handy when smoking as opposed to BBQ'ing.

I like the temp to remain stable when barbecuing to. I don't care if it's 250 or 300°. But I want it to remain there within 10° for as long as possible.

BBQ

  • Re: On horizontal pits
    ... I have bricks in the main pit and just use the offset ... > firebox to cook. ... > pit so I plan to clean it well before using it next time. ... Bricks go stacked against firebox wall, this will reduce being hot near firebox, its not that it is cool further away as much as its hotter closer to, Also, need to have a baffle plate in front of opening of firebox hole in the cooking chamber, get a silicon cork, plug the drain hole in the cooking chamber, fill bottom of cooking chamber with water to a depth of about 2 inch from lowest point, when done cooking, pull plug and all grease that was floating on top of water will wash away with the draining water. ...
    (alt.food.barbecue)
  • Re: On horizontal pits
    ... I have bricks in the main pit and just use the offset ... I've heard horror stories about grease fires in these types ... Solid concrete blocks wrapped in heavy duty aluminum foil. ...
    (alt.food.barbecue)
  • Re: On horizontal pits
    ... Bricks go stacked against firebox wall, this will reduce being hot near ... the cooking chamber, get a silicon cork, plug the drain hole in the cooking ... Right now the bricks line the entire bottom of the pit. ...
    (alt.food.barbecue)
  • Re: On horizontal pits
    ... pit so I plan to clean it well before using it next time. ... Would it be beneficial to replace those bricks with lava rocks for heat ... I've heard horror stories about grease fires in these types ... end distant from firebox. ...
    (alt.food.barbecue)
  • Re: On horizontal pits
    ... firebox to cook. ... pit so I plan to clean it well before using it next time. ... Would it be beneficial to replace those bricks with lava rocks for heat ... I've heard horror stories about grease fires in these types ...
    (alt.food.barbecue)