On horizontal pits

At the moment, I have bricks in the main pit and just use the offset
firebox to cook. There is a pretty bad grease buildup now in the main
pit so I plan to clean it well before using it next time. I'll probably
just toss the bricks out in the yard and let the elements take care of
the cleaning of them. <g>

Would it be beneficial to replace those bricks with lava rocks for heat
retention in the pit? The addition of the bricks really did help with
maintaining stable temps...

I guess I should learn to use drip trays too to save myself on cleaning
chores... I've heard horror stories about grease fires in these types
of BBQ's. Will steel cookie pans work? What do y'all use as drip trays
to take the heat without becoming carbon over time?
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy

  • Re: On horizontal pits
    ... There is a pretty bad grease buildup now in the main ... pit so I plan to clean it well before using it next time. ... Would it be beneficial to replace those bricks with lava rocks for heat ... Will steel cookie pans work? ...
    (alt.food.barbecue)
  • Re: On horizontal pits
    ... There is a pretty bad grease buildup now in the main ... pit so I plan to clean it well before using it next time. ... Would it be beneficial to replace those bricks with lava rocks for heat ... Heavy duty steel cookie sheets should work. ...
    (alt.food.barbecue)
  • Re: On horizontal pits
    ... There is a pretty bad grease buildup now in the main ... pit so I plan to clean it well before using it next time. ... Would it be beneficial to replace those bricks with lava rocks for heat ... Heavy duty steel cookie sheets should work. ...
    (alt.food.barbecue)
  • Re: On horizontal pits
    ... There is a pretty bad grease buildup now in the main ... pit so I plan to clean it well before using it next time. ... Would it be beneficial to replace those bricks with lava rocks for heat ... Heavy duty steel cookie sheets should work. ...
    (alt.food.barbecue)
  • Re: On horizontal pits
    ... I have bricks in the main pit and just use the offset ... There is a pretty bad grease buildup now in the main ... Solid concrete blocks wrapped in heavy duty aluminum foil. ...
    (alt.food.barbecue)