Re: I just can't do hamburgers.

Kent wrote:

|"ceed" <ceed.spameater@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
||Hi,
||I can do brisket, ribs, home made sausage, but I just can't do
||hamburgers! Whatever I try to do, as soon as they get on the grill
||they fall apart. I've tried everything like adding this, that and
||the other. I've tried to grind the meat myself, but no go. What's
||the secret to get hamburger that can actually be grilled without
||ending up as crumbles?
||I'm totally at a loss here! :)
||P.S. If someone has a simple trick to beef up the flavor (pun
||intended) of hamburgers I'd appreciate it.
||-- //ceed
|
|I agree fully with all the others about using hambuger with 20% fat.
|Also it tastes much better. For years I've been spraying my
|hamburgers and steaks with PAM before they go on the grill. I've been
|doing this on my own for years; I just read that Julia Child in "The
|Way to Cook" published in 1989 suggested doing the same thing. This
|markedly decreases sticking and it gives a better char outside while
|retaining moisture inside. On gas hambuger cooks best on a flat side
|up porcelain cast iron grate. That, and flaky fish doesn't stick to
|it. I think stainless steel round grates are to be avoided. The steel
|grates on the 22" Weber are marginal, though the problem is much less
|with the hotter charcoal and grate temp. Hope this helps,
|
|Kent

Yup, seems like the lean mean hamburger I've used is to blame. I will
try 80/20 and if that works better. Kinda hard to get the right amount
when I grind it myself though.

--
//ceed

  • Re: I just cant do hamburgers.
    ... as soon as they get on the grill they ... of hamburgers I'd appreciate it. ... cooks best on a flat side up porcelain cast iron grate. ... I think stainless steel round grates are to be avoided. ...
    (alt.food.barbecue)
  • Re: I just cant do hamburgers.
    ... ||intended) of hamburgers I'd appreciate it. ... |with the hotter charcoal and grate temp. ... If your home ground meet looks particularly red, you don't have enough fat. ... remember that most of that is going to cook out ...
    (alt.food.barbecue)