Apple wood for smoking, but... crabapple???

A friend of mine is trimming a crab apple tree way back and knew I was
looking for wood for my smoker, and has a bunch saved up letting it dry. Is
this good wood to use? Or is there something about the crab apple wood that
I shouldn't use it?

Thanks!

  • Re: Crabapple Wood? OK or Not OK to use when Smoking
    ... I just picked up some crabapple wood from my neighbor who was cutting the ... Rule of thumb is any fruit bearing or nut bearing tree ... I've been using crab apple wood for a couple of years with no ill effects. ... It's nigh impossible to differentiate any difference between crab apple ...
    (alt.food.barbecue)
  • Re: What kind of smoker do you have (and which one should I get)
    ... smoker would be (I'm on a low carb diet and planning on using ... and I'm wanting to use wood. ... WSM is a good unit for the $. ... I'm planning on smoking pork butts more than ribs, as it's pretty hard to get good ribs around here where I live. ...
    (alt.food.barbecue)
  • Re: Smoking a pork butt
    ... No experienced smoker or professional/commercial smoker wets their ... wood before using. ... the chips. ... you would most likely detect an acrid flavor on the food cooked that way. ...
    (rec.food.cooking)
  • Re: smoked food
    ... wood for smoking is extremely hard wood and water won't penetrate it ... will do the same stuff for a lot less than a fancy smoker. ... The Bradley digital electric smokers use pressed wood biscuits for their ... you set the duration of the smoke generator run, ...
    (rec.food.cooking)
  • Re: Smoking a pork butt
    ... is not designed as a smoker, modified by insertion of wood (perhaps ... Buy some food grade wood cooking ... foil, poke the foil a couple times with a fork, and throw it on the fire. ... in foil with brown sugar and sauce until tender, meat side down in the sauce ...
    (rec.food.cooking)