Re: R2D2

In article <1132711054.180499.70490@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
bruno@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> fish wrote:
> > Is it just me or did R2D2 suddenly got a case of old age arthritis?
> >
> > From episode III where R2 leaps out of Anakin's star fighter to episode IV
> > where R2 needs a crane to hoist him in his wheelchair.
>
> How many machines do you know that have been in use for over 30 years
> ? Quite frankly, I find it surprising that R2 has not been
> "decommissioned" yet by the time of ANH.

If the Republic had continued normally, then R2 may well have been
"decommissioned", but under the Empire's rule there hasn't been much in
the way of technological advancement (unless it was for the Empire's
own military use), so a lot of the old equipment has continued to be be
patched and repaired.
.