Re: OT: Digital switch and battery operated TV's news report

"R H Draney" wrote...
And let's not forget all those useless battery-operated portable emergency
TV
sets that *don't* have the fancy hook up, all of which are going straight
into
the landfill....

Not in California...unless you are the CHP, DMV, CalTrans or another
state agency that didn't get the memo that it is illegal to put electronic
items in the garbage.

http://www.my58.com/news/18011536/detail.html

Audit: Agencies Dump Money, E-Waste In Trash
Some State Agencies Created Environmental Damage, Auditor Says

POSTED: 5:43 pm PST November 18, 2008
UPDATED: 7:55 pm PST November 18, 2008

Email StoryPrint Story

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- An audit released Tuesday reveals that some state
agencies threw their e-waste in the trash, creating environmental damage and
wasting taxpayer dollars.

E-waste -- which includes discarded computers, TVs and other electronics --
is supposed to end up at recycling centers, state auditor Elaine Howle said.

"The state of California has contracts with vendors who are willing to come
out and pick up that waste for no charge," Howle said. "So the state of
California paid for something it didn't necessarily have to pay for."

Not only is disposing e-waste in the trash illegal, the chemicals in the
electronics also damage the environment.

"After years and years of being in our landfills, that leaches into our
water tables, our ground water and agriculture," said Kristin DiLallo
Sherill, of California Electronic Asset Recovery.

The state audited a sample of five agencies that included the Employment
Development Department, the Department of Justice, Caltrans, and the
Department of Motor Vehicles and the California Highway Patrol.

Howle said the worse offenders were the DMV and CHP.

DMV spokesman Steve Haskins said the department makes an effort to be as
green as possible and regrets the error.

"Unfortunately the contracts weren't clear and we did the best we could,"
Haskins said. "We certainly didn't just throw them away."

Howle said he hopes the audit will lead to better education and oversights
and that agencies that are supposed to enforce laws don't keep breaking
them.

Also, the State Department of Toxic Substance Control is currently working
on clarifying the guidelines on e-waste recycling to educate state agencies.

Reported by: Pamela Wu

--

Alan

www.best-page.us