Additional Letterman holdings at the MTR
- From: "Maven" <true_maven@xxxxxxx>
- Date: 12 Mar 2006 16:01:21 -0800
Got another chance to go up to NYC and spent a bit of time at the
Museum of Television and Radio. One of these days, I might get a trip
that lines up with the taping schedule. MTR isn't a traditional museum
as much as a library of video and audio clips.
Some of the items I checked out this time--
(1) Jan 1979 Letterman appearance on the Tonight Show. I guess that
this would have been his second or third TS appearance. His stand up
was weak, but he had good interaction with Johnny. This episode also
had Liberace and a unscheduled visit by Bob Hope.
(2) A 1979 episode of the Tommorow Show dealing with up and coming
comics with guests: David Letterman, Billy Crystal, and Merrill
Markoe. Average television. It is odd seeing people lighting up
(Snyder) on TV back then.
(3) An 1979 episode of "Mary" in which Dave does a cheesy "news bit"
from the old Mary Tyler Moore set. Michael Keaton is also in this
episode, but I didn't have time to bother.
(4) His HBO (1980) special "Looking for Fun" which has letterman
looking for fun in LA. Good bits: (1) the "remote" visit to the LA
river for fishing and boating (this is a visual gag which anyone who
has seen the LA River would understand) (2) the restaurant bit with
Merrill in which their nice quite dinner is interupted by a interrupted
by a mariachi band. Dave keeps talking louder and louder and is
yelling when the band suddenly cuts out leaving him saying
"I want to dress up like a nurse!!."
(5) The 1996 Charlie Rose interview. I haven't seen the Koppell
interview, but a well-done interview by both parties. It is a good
thing Dave got rid of the poodle hair and big glasses.
- Prev by Date: Re: Selection Sunday
- Next by Date: Re: Donz Day 2006
- Previous by thread: Re: Selection Sunday
- Next by thread: Re: Additional Letterman holdings at the MTR