Sirius Radios Are Noncompliant Sirius in deep dog doo doo

AP
Directed Shares Fall After FCC Notice
Wednesday July 5, 1:54 pm ET
Shares of Directed Electronics Plunge After FCC Says 2 of Its Sirius Radios
Are Noncompliant

NEW YORK (AP) -- Shares of Directed Electronics Inc. plunged Wednesday after
the maker of car security and audio equipment said it received notice that
two Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. radios it markets were found to be
noncompliant with Federal Communications Commission rules.
Shares of Directed dived 79 cents, or 6.2 percent, to $11.94 in afternoon
trading on the Nasdaq at nearly double their average daily volume. Earlier
in the day, the stock dipped to $11.62, below its previous 52-week low of
$12.04.

The Vista, Calif.-based company said in a Securities and Exchange Commission
report filed Wednesday that the FCC determined that the company's Sirius ST2
and Sirius S50-C radios are not in compliance with applicable rules for
operating-frequency range and applicable emissions. Directed Electronics
said the problems are not health or safety issues.

The FCC requested information from Direct Electronics regarding the
certification, manufacturing, importation, and other matters related to the
two radios. The company said it plans to fully cooperate with the FCC and
said it is also conducting an internal review.

The company also said it is working with Sirius and related manufacturers to
"make any and all necessary modifications to ensure that we distribute only
FCC-compliant products, to obtain new equipment authorizations where
appropriate, and to minimize any interruption in supply of these wireless
Sirius radios to retailers and consumers."

"Although we believe that it is too early in the process to determine with
any degree of certainty the significance, if any, of these matters to our
business, results of operations, or financial position, we fully expect to
resolve these issues in a timely manner and expect that our 2006 results
will continue to be in line with prior guidance," the company said in the
filing.

Shares of Sirius fell 9 cents, or 2 percent, to $4.52 on the Nasdaq. The
stock has traded in a 52-week range of $3.60 to $7.98.

  • Re: "10 meter" radios
    ... laws and regulations. ... and RADIOS that may have deemed illegal under the law. ... equipment in trucks, and their USE is ILLEGAL. ... The 10 Meter band was not established by FCC. ...
    (misc.transport.trucking)
  • Re: "10 meter" radios
    ... If tested by the Courts, the FCC would have its ass handed to it once again, if they are indeed trying to fine companies for the actions of their employees. ... Some few ignorant truckers also drink and drive; the driver is fined or jailed when caught, the company is informed of the DUI during the normal course of events and they fire the individual--the company is not fined. ... The FEDERAL REGULATIONS state that in order to operate a truck in interstate commerce, it must comply with all state and Federal laws and regulations. ... This include ANY equipment such as radar detectors and RADIOS that may have deemed illegal under the law. ...
    (misc.transport.trucking)
  • Re: build-it-yourself cb illegal?
    ... I remember the sale of 23 channels being made illegal. ... I'm still not sure that it was even legal for the FCC to do ... FCC's busting of the CB shops for selling today 10 meter radios they ... sale of 23 channel CB radios. ...
    (rec.radio.cb)
  • Re: Sirius/XM Merger was: Re: So HC
    ... FCC Finally Gets Sirius ... The market value of XM Satellite Radio is now less than $3 ... XM dwarfed Sirius in paid subscribers and subscriber ...
    (rec.gambling.sports)
  • Re: Its official: Merger to go through!
    ... Sirius-XM Merger Gains Approval of FCC Majority, ... July 23 -- Sirius Satellite Radio Inc.'s purchase of XM ... ``Commissioner Adelstein would only cast a dissenting vote once it was ... Adelstein had sought a six-year price freeze, ...
    (alt.fan.howard-stern)