Re: Should Howard be brought up on charges for this call?

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:34:39 -0700, Michael <jandm16@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Pariah wrote:
>
>> 10:30 AM Monday.
>>
>> Phony Paid Caller: "Hey Howard, I already got my eh-eh-eh, and I
>> can't tell you how great it is. Best purchase I ever made. You guys
>> are going to be groundbreaking over there. And that In Demand, what a
>> great idea. I can watch the shows when I get home after work. That's
>> fantastic!"
>>
>> Howard: "Thanks!"
>>
>> Can anyone legitimately explain why this is not considered payola, a
>> federal crime (47 U.S.C. § 508)? Why shouldn't Howard be thrown off
>> the air immediately, with no pay? Why not haul him off to jail with
>> Cabbie? The money involved in Howard's crimes amounts to a hell of a
>> lot more than Cabbie's crimes ever did.
>>
>> I'm sure the phony caller would turn evidence against Howard if called
>> to testify. Any jury who hears this clip, or any of the thousands of
>> other similar calls, would convict.
>
>I think payola is when someone (in this case, the main person on a radio
>show) is paid to do something, be it play a song, $hill a product, or
>even promote a certain point of view.
>
>In this case, it's more like H is paying someone else to call in to the
>show to pimp things for him.
>
>I'm not sure that that's illegal. Might be against his Infinity
>contract, since they DID tell him to stop with the Sirius $hilling and
>"eh EH eh" has been code for "Sirius" for so long now.

Maybe it doesn't fit the exact definition of the federal crime, but it
has the same net result: Howard is attempting to create wealth for
himself, and TWO other entities in which he has a stake, by abusing
federally regulated airwaves.

If I were K-Rock, I'd start each segment with at least 20 minutes of
buffer, and dump Howard off the air immediately as he begins to shill
for Sirius/In Demand. 5 or 10 minute shills, like this call led
into... just completely gone. It's certainly within their rights, and
they're performing a service for the listeners who must endure them.

Of course, by the time you add up all the time Howard spends shilling,
each day's show will end about 2 hours earlier. But not a single
person will complain... except Howard.

  • An MD who only does C-sections
    ... Ah, yes, Howard McCollister, MD... ... Since MDs CAUSE cephalopelvic disproportion then perform C-sections BEcause ... Howard is telling OBs that they should not close birth canals. ... PS Since I am protesting massive MD crimes, ...
    (sci.med)
  • Re: The Goblins new heights of hypocrisy
    ... Howard has been using this "working blue" ... things that they have ever done was the call to the hospital for Tom ... > contractual obligation, ... he's far to big of a scumbag, chiseling, shill to walk away from ...
    (alt.fan.howard-stern)
  • What has to hurt Howard most about the lawsuit...
    ... is being called out as a shill, ... That's the one word Howard never allowed on the air. ... But expose him as a shill? ...
    (alt.fan.howard-stern)
  • Re: Goblin Math
    ... repeats are free. ... the only people that complaint about the amount ... of time Howard takes off or the amount of shows Howard does, ...
    (alt.fan.howard-stern)
  • Re: Goblin Math
    ... of time Howard takes off or the amount of shows Howard does, ... Howard Haters and The Clones fans. ... That all the people who subscribed to hear Howie are at work when he's on so they don't get to listen anyhow and that they coincide their vacations with Howie. ...
    (alt.fan.howard-stern)