Re: That Awful Epilogue and Lord of the Rings

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 00:00:46 -0500, Louis Epstein <le@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Welsh Dog <welshdog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
: On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 20:00:13 -0500, Louis Epstein <le@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
:>: On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 01:08:06 -0500, Louis Epstein <le@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
:>:>: On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:49:54 -0500, Louis Epstein <le@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
:>:>: wrote:
:>:>:>Welsh Dog <welshdog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
:>:>:>: On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 00:49:59 -0500, Louis Epstein <le@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
:>:>:>: wrote:
:>:>:>:>Yellow <yell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
:>:>:>:>: santosh [santosh.k83@xxxxxxxxx] said:
:>:>:>:>:> Moon wrote:
:>:>:>:>:> > santosh schrieb:

<snip>

: From this you can see the problems with the publications and more
: importantly as far as this is concerned the *dates* of the
: publications! Yes it was well received after a fashion but it
: nonetheless took almost 10 years before it achieved it's popularity.

I know that also,the point is the popularity it achieved was a huge
cultural phenomenon.

After a ten year slow development yes, relative to it's time!

Nevertheless, if was nowhere near as large as the Potter Books... nor
did it achieve its cult status as quickly... which is the point!!

Huge is a relative term.

: It was a slow 'organic' process so whilst it has it's place the
: overall scheme of things, The Potter series has rewritten the books
: (so to speak) as far as the 'shared cultural phenomenon' is concerned.
: At the time LoR was published it simply wasn't possible for it to do
: what The Potters did. Ten years is a *long* time for a book to
: languish whilst its popularity spreads.

Welshdog
--

News and views... for people like youse!!

Australian Opinion
(http://australianopinion.com)

Not as strange as it looks!

  • Re: That Awful Epilogue and Lord of the Rings
    ... From this you can see the problems with the publications and more ... nonetheless took almost 10 years before it achieved it's popularity. ... if was nowhere near  as large as the Potter Books... ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: Question for Mike Plowman re CSVU Net
    ... your customers by mis-describing one of your publications, ... because I dared to query the corrupt status quo of a genre which is ... on publishing books on the subject. ... challenged himself resigned in disgust because of this nepotism. ...
    (uk.media.tv.misc)