Re: The name death eaters

On 5 Gen, 21:55, dcan...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Now that the canon is complete, did we ever find out why they're
called "death eaters?"

I always thought that, with them being Voldemort's groupies and
everything:

(1) they kind of "feed" on death, despair, fear and terrorism;

(2) "death eater" might also mean someone who defeats death, which
was, of course, Voldemorts ultimate goal.

The name probably came from either Voldemort (which might lead to n.
2) or the general population which started calling them that out of
fear (which brings us to meaning 1) as they named Voldemort You-Know-
Whom, Harry The Bow Who Lived and so on...

  • Re: And back to Deathly Hallows!
    ... of a 'secret order' means it was hardly public knowledge and the Death ... Eaters were killing people up and down the country *anyway*. ... Which makes me wonder - how widely used was the term Death Eater? ... I recall Barty Crouch understanding the term in the film GoH (probably understanding, that is - the scene wasn't particularly well directed or edited imho and came across as rather shambolic. ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: Horcrux Question: Why is Voldemort so DUMB?
    ... At no point, however, does he mention horcruxes. ... or he was deliberately keeping his Death Eaters ... We also have good reason to believe that RAB ended up being killed by ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: The name death eaters
    ... they kind of "feed" on death, despair, fear and terrorism; ... The name probably came from either Voldemort (which might lead to n. ... fear as they named Voldemort You-Know- ... It's probably worth contextualising that second sentence and looking at why Dd wanted power: I don't think it was for its own sake; he wasn't a megalomaniac who just got a kick out of bullying or abusing people as Voldy did, or even as some way of compensating for perceived inadequacies in himself, as Snape did. ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: Maybe Snape Lied (contains HBP spoilers)
    ... > Blon Fel Fotch Passameer-Day Slitheen wrote: ... >> Freely left what - the Death Eaters??? ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: Harry the Hung
    ... with suggesting this plan to Mundungus specifically so that Snape ... it's fair play to the Death Eaters that Moody should ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)