Re: That Awful Epilogue and Lord of the Rings

David Sueme wrote:

On Dec 19, 7:34 am, santosh <santosh....@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Who cares about the movies (both Peter Jackson's as well as Warner
Br.' HP series). Only the books are canon and they are infinitely
better than the movies, if only because they do not constrain your
imagination to revolve around the actors and scenes chosen by the
director.

Well, this brings up an interesting theoritical point - can a movie
_ever_ be an adequate transliteration of a complex literary work?

They are different media and I don't think one can *perfectly* depict
all the subtleties of the other. Books leave more to your imagination,
while films cater more to the sensations. Each has a place.

  • Re: DH Movie Rumor
    ... The "Carry On" movies - a long series, ... and there are dozens of books. ... But I think it's definitely feasible, and given just how successful the films and books have been, I doubt they'll be able to leave the Potterverse alone for too long after the films are completed. ... If they end up doing other Harry Potter things - it will only move the date even further into the future. ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: Fate of SF as World Slides Down Back Side of Hubberts Curve?
    ... -- Humanity will never go to the stars (probably not even one human ... The top six movies of last year were SF. ... However, w.r.t. to books rather than movies, it seems that some ... based solely on the general decline in reading of books for pleasure in any ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)
  • Re: ot: Christmas movies
    ... That's up there in my house too, ... and now my kids love it. ... usually gravitate towards humor when I'm picking out books. ... better than the movies IMO. ...
    (rec.autos.sport.nascar)
  • Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Split Revealed
    ... It was to preserve the integrity of the books like ... so I'm not assuming that the movies ... could argue that /previous/ HP films have suffered for financial ... filming a scene where the characters search for a horcrux in the Room ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: DH Movie Rumor
    ... The "Carry On" movies - a long series, ... and there are dozens of books. ... But I think it's definitely feasible, and given just how successful the films and books have been, I doubt they'll be able to leave the Potterverse alone for too long after the films are completed. ... up doing other Harry Potter things - it will only move the date even further into the future. ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)