Re: That Awful Epilogue and Lord of the Rings

"santosh" <santosh.k83@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
David Sueme wrote:

On Dec 18, 11:29 am, Bill Blakely <wcblak...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I just got around to watching the LotR movies on DVD, and I couldn't
help but be reminded -- it has been 35 years since I read LotR -- of
how much better an epilogue, so to speak, Tolkien gave his fantasy
epic as opposed JKR. While she was borrowing so much else from
Tolkien

I was "off the air" when the book was published and I missed the furor
over the epilogue. Care to sum up the complaints for me?

As to the Rings movies, personally I think Jackson omitted the _real_
epilogue, and thereby made a horrible mess of the ending of the saga.
The "scouring of the Shire" is very important to the conclusion of the
tale. Tolkein depicts the Hobbits as having grown as a result of
thier experiences and I think that he is offering that as a parable
about the human condition.

Frodo met Odysseus on the way home.

Who cares about the movies (both Peter Jackson's as well as Warner Br.'
HP series). Only the books are canon and they are infinitely better
than the movies, if only because they do not constrain your imagination
to revolve around the actors and scenes chosen by the director. Witness
the number of "young" HP fans that confuse Radcliffe with Harry, Watson
with Hermione and so on.

I have to admit, I though LOTR was good but I found the 3 films awesome,
just SO utterly good, probably my favourites of all time. I love seeing it
made real on the screen - much better than just using my imagination! And
the music is just out of this world - it fits the film so well throughout.

It's not so clear for me for the HP world: the books are really great, but
the films are more variable. The first couple had a wonderful sense of awe
of, and at, magic which was almost tangible. Again, it was great seeing it
made real on the screen. PoA was also excellent but more grown up; GoF was
fun but an action romp and started losing that sense of wonder; and OotP was
just ok, some pretty effects but even less depth and emotional connection.
And the music varies similarly - spot on in #1 and 2, very good still in #3,
subtle yet still effective in #4, but very poor in #5...

As for the LOTR epilogue - I really didn't like the book, it went on *far*
too long for my taste. And so did the film, although it had an odd slightly
saccharine feel (well, the extended DVD did, the cinema release was if I
recall correctly, somewhat shorter though still jarring with the rest of the
film).

<mode=minority-of-1> lol
And the epilogue in DH? Well, it might have been ok as a distant vague seen-through-the-mist last chapter provided there'd been some closure after the final battle of Hogwarts - an extra couple of chapters showing them grieving the fallen and rebuilding for the future, setting off on their various paths towards the rest of their lives. But instead, we had the battle, then the book stopped with an abrupt judder, then we had this sepia/blurry scene. JKR succeeded in writing it as if we were watching it a distance which is what she said she'd set out to do, but that's not what I wanted for the end of the book - after 7 books of build-up, I can't help but think something more was needed. A shame, as I really enjoyed the rest of DH but despite all that, it didn't stop DH being a great read over all...
</mode>

DaveD

  • Re: That Awful Epilogue and Lord of the Rings
    ... Care to sum up the complaints for me? ... :>> epilogue, and thereby made a horrible mess of the ending of the saga. ... Only the books are canon and they are infinitely better ... the music is just out of this world - it fits the film so well throughout. ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: Read the epilogue - PROMISE NO SPOILERS HERE
    ... Hogwarts or Minister of Magic. ... Department at the Ministry of Magic. ... three kids and writing books or some other such job that can be done ... As for whether the epilogue was necessary, ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: That Awful Epilogue and Lord of the Rings
    ... People expect more details after seven long books. ... DH interviews is several times the size of that useless epilogue. ... I do think that disappointment with the epilogue may, in part, reflect ... Billions for Halliburton but not one cent for children's health care. ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: That Awful Epilogue and Lord of the Rings
    ... People expect more details after seven long books. ... DH interviews is several times the size of that useless epilogue. ... I do think that disappointment with the epilogue may, in part, reflect ... That not being at all what I said, I think my post missed its mark ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)