Re: The Taboo vs the Grimmauld Place enchantments

Meghan Noecker <friesian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
: On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 07:55:04 -0400, Thom Madura
: <Tommadura@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
:
:
:>Actually - if you read about the FC charm - you will see that it
:>protects a SECRET (That is in the books). SO it follows that - at the
:>time that the FC charm is cast - what it protects must be only known to
:>the people involved. THe location of a person's home is NOT a secret to
:>the owner of the home or those that live there - so that cannot be a
:>secret - regardless of who casts the spell.
:
: Excellent point! I never thought of that way, but it makes perfect
: sense.
:
:
: I;m still a bit puzzled at how knowing the secret makes the house
: visible when that isn't how it worked for the Potters.
:

Note that the Potters' getaway cottage was made "invisible to Muggles"
after they died even if the betrayal to Ickle Tommykins made it visible
to him.

-=-=-

  • Re: The Taboo vs the Grimmauld Place enchantments
    ... protects a SECRET. ... time that the FC charm is cast - what it protects must be only known to ... THe location of a person's home is NOT a secret to ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: Godrics Hollow and the missing day *** possible spoilers ***
    ... Rowling describes the secret as "the ... location of a family in hiding". ... be found at the Rose Cottage, Godric's Hollow," must then contain the ... or else he wouldn't have been able to see the Potters. ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: Godrics Hollow and the missing day *** possible spoilers ***
    ... perhaps Wormtail leading him there - plus the Potters, ... Rowling describes the secret as "the ... location of a family in hiding". ... the FC woudl hide the Potters even if Hagrid went to the hiding place. ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: OOTP
    ... Since we do not have the Longbottom's death date, we can't say that it was not around the Potters' one. ... I continue to believe that Voldemort "chose" Harry FIRST - because wormtail ratted out the Potters. ... I am also sure that Dumbledore knew exactly what families the Prophecy referred to immediately - and did not need Snape to tell him. ... Dumbledore would have gone to Sirius - and found out that Sirius was not the secret keeper - something Sirius COULD say. ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: OOTP
    ... chose the Potters andnot the Longbottoms. ... Harry was the "one" he marked. ... also sure that Dumbledore knew exactly what families the Prophecy ... out that Sirius was not the secret keeper - something Sirius COULD ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)