Re: DD as politician, was Art Stopped Short

Richard Eney escribió:
In article <472e933e$0$26411$88260bb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Drusilla <gammanormidsERASETHIS@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Richard Eney escribio:
Drusilla <gammanormidsERASETHIS@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Richard Eney escribio:
Was DD already Head of Hogwarts at the time of the first VoldWar?
Lupin said he was already Headmaster when was supposed to start the first year, 1971.
Yes, but wasn't there something else that seemed to contradict that?
I don't remember what it was, only that there was some discussion about it.
According to HPL, "By c.1938 he was Hogwarts Transfiguration professor (CS17); Hogwarts School Headmaster c.1955 until his death." No idea why 1955 is mentioned, though.

Thanks, that must have been what I was remembering. The difference I recall
was that DD supposedly wasn't headmaster yet and Lupin wasn't sure he would
be able to go to school, but then DD became headmaster and said Lupin could
attend Hogwarts. That would mean that DD became headmaster only after Lupin was bitten, and since Lupin would have started school in 1971, DD became headmaster not much earlier than 1964. 1955 seems too early.

Agree. I think that the fact he wasn't sure about Hogwarts had nothing to do with Dumbledore being headmaster or not.

"It seemed impossible that I would be able to come to Hogwarts. Other parents weren't likely to want their children exposed to me. But then Dumbledore became Headmaster, and he was sympathetic."

Dumbledore could have offered to help Lupin when he was still a very young child. Perhaps he knew the Lupins before and was aware of their problem.

Wasn't DD headmaster when Tom Riddle Jr went to apply for a job, fairly
shortly after getting out of school? Or was that just before the start of the first VoldWar? VoldWar I was the eleven years before Harry was
orphaned in 1982, so that puts VoldWar I starting in 1971. So he had to
have tried for the job before 1971. But he still seemed young, and
he would have been (1971-1926=45) close to 45 years old in 1971.
> 1992-50 = year of Diary of V's 5th year in school, 1942. V started
> in 1937 or so. If V left school circa 1945, returned to try for
> the job after some experience but seemed young, too young for the job,

It was Dippet, IICR, who told Riddle that he was too young, not Dumbledore, in HBP.

"I was one of the few in whom the then headmaster confided — but Voldemort first approached Professor Dippet and asked whether he could remain at Hogwarts as a teacher.".

[...]

"But he didn't get the job, sir?"

"No, he did not. Professor Dippet told him that he was too young at eighteen, but invited him to reapply in a few years, if he still wished to teach."

he ought to have been in his twenties, sometime in the mid-fifties.
Maybe that's where 1955 comes from: Voldemort's visit to Hogwarts
to apply for a job.

When he visited Hogwarts, some time had passed, he was not young:

"I have returned," he said, after a little while, "later, perhaps, than Professor Dippet expected . . . but I have returned, nevertheless, to request again what he once told me I was too young to have."

He simply refused to give him the job, he didn't say he was young. And even if he did, it had been an excuse: Lupin was 33 when he got the job, and Snape, 20-something.

But it conflicts with Lupin's age.

Unless - DD left the job for a while in the early 1960s and came back
in time to accept Lupin as a student? But that makes no sense at all.

  • Re: DD as politician, was Art Stopped Short
    ... Lupin said he was already Headmaster when was supposed to start the ... Hogwarts School Headmaster c.1955 until his death." ... be able to go to school, but then DD became headmaster and said Lupin could ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: DD as politician, was Art Stopped Short
    ... Lupin said he was already Headmaster when was supposed to start the ... "By c.1938 he was Hogwarts Transfiguration professor ... be able to go to school, but then DD became headmaster and said Lupin could ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: DD as politician, was Art Stopped Short
    ... Lupin said he was already Headmaster when was supposed to start the ... be able to go to school, but then DD became headmaster and said Lupin could ... Dumbledore became Headmaster, and he was sympathetic." ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: DD as politician, was Art Stopped Short
    ... Lupin said he was already Headmaster when was supposed to start the first year, ... Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: What is the purpose of the portraits in the Headmasters office?
    ... >> portraits seem to spend most of their time gossiping. ... >No school stays the same for 1000 years. ... I believe that change came when DD became headmaster, ... The old style boarding schools that Hogwarts ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)