Re: DD as politician, was Art Stopped Short

In article <472e933e$0$26411$88260bb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Drusilla <gammanormidsERASETHIS@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Richard Eney escribio:
Drusilla <gammanormidsERASETHIS@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Richard Eney escribio:
Was DD already Head of Hogwarts at the time of the first VoldWar?
Lupin said he was already Headmaster when was supposed to start the
first year, 1971.

Yes, but wasn't there something else that seemed to contradict that?
I don't remember what it was, only that there was some discussion about it.

According to HPL, "By c.1938 he was Hogwarts Transfiguration professor
(CS17); Hogwarts School Headmaster c.1955 until his death." No idea why
1955 is mentioned, though.

Thanks, that must have been what I was remembering. The difference I recall
was that DD supposedly wasn't headmaster yet and Lupin wasn't sure he would
be able to go to school, but then DD became headmaster and said Lupin could
attend Hogwarts. That would mean that DD became headmaster only after
Lupin was bitten, and since Lupin would have started school in 1971, DD
became headmaster not much earlier than 1964. 1955 seems too early.

Wasn't DD headmaster when Tom Riddle Jr went to apply for a job, fairly
shortly after getting out of school? Or was that just before the start
of the first VoldWar? VoldWar I was the eleven years before Harry was
orphaned in 1982, so that puts VoldWar I starting in 1971. So he had to
have tried for the job before 1971. But he still seemed young, and
he would have been (1971-1926=45) close to 45 years old in 1971.

1992-50 = year of Diary of V's 5th year in school, 1942. V started
in 1937 or so. If V left school circa 1945, returned to try for
the job after some experience but seemed young, too young for the job,
he ought to have been in his twenties, sometime in the mid-fifties.
Maybe that's where 1955 comes from: Voldemort's visit to Hogwarts
to apply for a job.

But it conflicts with Lupin's age.

Unless - DD left the job for a while in the early 1960s and came back
in time to accept Lupin as a student? But that makes no sense at all.

=Tamar

  • Re: What is the purpose of the portraits in the Headmasters office?
    ... >> portraits seem to spend most of their time gossiping. ... >No school stays the same for 1000 years. ... I believe that change came when DD became headmaster, ... The old style boarding schools that Hogwarts ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: DD as politician, was Art Stopped Short
    ... Lupin said he was already Headmaster when was supposed to start the ... be able to go to school, but then DD became headmaster and said Lupin could ... Dumbledore became Headmaster, and he was sympathetic." ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: DD as politician, was Art Stopped Short
    ... Lupin said he was already Headmaster when was supposed to start the first year, ... "By c.1938 he was Hogwarts Transfiguration professor; Hogwarts School Headmaster c.1955 until his death." ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: DD as politician, was Art Stopped Short
    ... Lupin said he was already Headmaster when was supposed to start the ... Hogwarts School Headmaster c.1955 until his death." ... be able to go to school, but then DD became headmaster and said Lupin could ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: DD as politician, was Art Stopped Short
    ... Lupin said he was already Headmaster when was supposed to start the first year, ... Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)