What time period is Harry Potter set in?

Is it possible to identify the date the HP books are set in?

Is there any evidence that Voldemort was powerful during WW2 for example -
he killed a lot of muggles - in which case he would have "died" in 1945, so
Harry would be 17 in 1962.

I can't recall any particular recent technology such as mobile/cell phones
for example being mentioned in the books.

  • Re: some questions from a newbie (spoilers, I guess)
    ... As far as Horcruxes are concerned, pretty much all we know for a fact is ... I think) Voldemort ... Harry is NOT going to go after Voldemort without gaining more skills... ... > Up until 3 weeks ago, I had not read any of the books (unfortunately, I ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: Wow....
    ... And Rowling has spent the last two books compressing as little ... I think th eDursley's will be in the book, if somewhat briefly, as Harry agreed to stay there at least for a couple of weeks. ... As for skipping Horcruxes? ... Voldemort will even be defeated. ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: OT: Goblet of Fire
    ... spoilers to wild speculation about unreleased books to bizarre ... There's also the fact that it is the Riddle estate and Voldemort ... > off to find the portkey to the World Quidditch cup, and when Harry asks ... > great deal of speculation over whose "side" Snape was on. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated)
  • Re: Prediction: series ends, Harry never completes unforgivable curse
    ... Harry touches Quirrell, Quirrell ... | Vold left Quirrell to die is more accurate, ... Voldemort is so pathetic and lame for all his ... Sheesh, JKR ought to just retitle her books, "Harry Potter Versus the ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: Harry is a ...well, I was just thinking
    ... books - you dismiss the books. ... You're convicned he failed at making a horcrux. ... We do know he failed at murdering Harry. ... It was his memories and a Soul Bit. ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)