Re: Purpose of chapter 1?

Quinny <lord_quinny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
:
: "Melissa Houle" <melissa.houle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
: news:iXEFe.493565$cg1.409205@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
:>
:> >
:> > Note that Fudge refers to having been "sacked" and a new
:> > MoM having been "appointed".If they are Ministers of Great Britain
:> > (and the Prime Minister obviously only learns of these changes after
:> > the fact) I assume the Queen (on magical advice) does the sacking
:> > and appointing?
:> >
:> > Telling of the Floo Network connection at Buckingham Palace might
:> > be a bit more dicey than Downing Street's...
:> >
:> > -=-=-
:> > The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
:> > at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.
:>
:> Since the MoM is not appointed by the Prime Minister, who is the real
:> political head of state in Britain, I don't see why the Queen should
: appoint
:> the Minister of Magic, either. It's not like she would have an in-depth
:> knowledge of the MoM, or have any idea who could fight Voldemort or run
: the
:> Wizarding world most effectively, if she has any idea there are witches
: and
:> wizards in Britain at all. I tend to think she doesn't. Maybe the
: assorted
:> PMs of England might have told her about the Minister of Magic, and maybe
:> they wouldn't for fear of being thought completely nuts.
:>
:> I think the Minister of magic is probably chosen by the Wizengamot,
:> although I have no idea what their procedure or their criteria might be.
:> They have at least chosen someone with less formidable powers of denial
: than
:> Cornelius Fudge, this time, but not by much. Although Scrimgeour is, as
:> Dumbledore says, a more forceful and decisive minister than Fudge." But
: he's
:> still putting up with Umbridge, rather than sacking her sorry butt
: straight
:> out of the MoM. But one of my favorite lines in HBP comes after Christmas
:> when Harry tells Dumbledore about his talk with Scrimgeour at the Burrow.
: I
:> love Dumbledore's comment about "We must not sink beneath our anguish,
: but
:> soldier on.." Clearly, he and Harry are of one mind when it comes to the
:> MoM, both the Ministry and the current Minister. =o)
:>
:> Melissa
:>
: This brings up something I thought was a bit puzzling. When Harry first
: meets Scrimgeour he is suspicious and even unhelpful and unaccomodating. I
: found this strange because Scrimgeour is exactly the person who Harry would
: want to impress if he wasn't the Minister. Harry wants to be an Auror and
: yet pays no respect to the recent ex-head Auror. I did not understand his
: attitude in this regard.
: As their conversation progresses and later when Harry can see that Umbridge
: is still around and that Scrimgeour is not the type of person that Harry
: wants to associate with I can understand him being rude and abrupt, but not
: when they first meet.

Seems to me Harry won't be accepted by the Auror Office
as long as Scrimgeour is Minister,at this point...

-=-=-