Re: I think my P4C800-E is fried

On 4/12/2011 4:07 PM, Paul wrote:
Bill Anderson wrote:

Just following up:

The new cheap MBO arrived today and it seems the problem really was
the P4C800-E. I don't know what fried on it, but something certainly
did. The new board is working fine with the old processor, memory,
power supply and everything else.

OK, I've given up. I wrote the words above just a little too soon. Everything appeared to be working, but when I tried to install an OS I ran into a brick wall.

The new motherboard is an Intel D865GVHZ. The manual is here:
ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d865gvhz/sb/c70845001.pdf

I've been working on virtually nothing else but this computer since yesterday 8:00 am to 11:00 pm and now today 8:00 am to 3:00 pm and at this point I officially quit.

I won't write a narrative -- that would go on for pages. But here are some salient problems:

Only my Win7 installation CD would boot. Not XP. Not Ubuntu. (Never tried Vista.) They'd just sit there and spin and nothing would happen. But Win7 would fire up and display all the proper installation screens, but as it would begin the installation process it would announce that I needed drivers for my optical drive. (NOTE: This is the optical drive that Win7 was running on.)

I'd installed an old IDE hard drive that I'd formatted via USB connection to my regular computer. It's a good drive, I'm certain. But as I played around with the BIOS settings I realized the MBO wanted to see PATA or SATA only. Support for IDE came only if I chose "legacy." So I chose legacy.

When the computer would boot, it would sit at the introductory splash screen for a minute or so before finally telling me it couldn't find a hard drive. Then I could get into BIOS.

But sometimes without my changing anything, it would find the hard drive and identify it properly in BIOS setup. It would come and go and I never figured out how to make it appear reliably.

So I installed an SATA drive and set BIOS for that. It still couldn't find a hard drive. Imagine my confusion when I read this in the manual: "If you install a SATA or IDE device (such as a hard drive) in your computer, the SATA/IDE autoconfiguration utility in the BIOS automatically detects and configures the device for your computer.
You do not need to run the BIOS Setup program after installing a SATA/IDE device." Followed by this later in the manual: "NOTE: SATA hard drives are not supported on desktop board D865GVHZ." After reading that I gave up on installing an SATA drive.

I decided maybe I needed to flash the BIOS to a newer version. So I found the newest version on the Intel site and tried to install via floppy but struck out. (Boy, did I just make a long story short.) Then I read that the way to do it is to remove a certain jumper from the board, thus enabling BIOS flashing from a floppy. I put the new BIOS file on the floppy, inserted it into the computer, and the computer did just what I'd been told to expect: It found the floppy drive, chugged through BIOS installation, beeped a few times, and shut down to indicate "success."

Now the computer won't post. Nothing. Zilch. Nada.

Using the newest BIOS file I can go through the BIOS upgrade process again and again, each time everything apparently working properly -- chugging, beeping, shutdown. But still I get nothing when I replace the jumper and try to boot.

And I can't roll back to any earlier version of BIOS. The computer sounds like it's about to start flashing the BIOS, but the chugging quits and the floppy drive runs and runs and nothing happens. It's dead, Jim.

So now my miracle $30 motherboard is worth even less than what I paid for it.

I think I want to try again, but I refuse to pay more than ... well ... I won't pay too much for another motherboard. Anybody know where I can find a good, reliable, socket 478 motherboard that'll accommodate my current P4 processor, memory, CPU fan, etc etc? Not too expensive? Recommendations welcome -- I didn't do so well when I picked one on my own.

Thanks.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog