Does the P5E really support ECC?

I'm about to build a new rig and I'd like to use the vanilla P5E
board. I can't determine with certainty whether the P5E actually has
functional ECC due to conflicting information.

Asus sez it does:
http://asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=572&l4=0&model=1873&modelmenu=2

And Asus sez it doesn't:
http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=572&l4=0&model=1873&modelmenu=2

I haven't yet received a response from Asus addressing the conflict.
I'll keep emailing until they get tired of ignoring me - but that may
take a wee bit of a while :-(

Crucial says it doesn't:
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=P5E

Some retailers like Keenzo and TheNerds say it doesn't. Other
retailers like Newegg & ZipZoomFly just don't make any statement
regarding ECC.

There have been several threads here in the past year (some quite
recent) with posts from folks who are using ECC Dimms without
problems. Of course the problem with that is ECC Dimms can run fine
even if the P5E doesn't have the P bit traces to the memory slot.

2 Questions:

1) Does the P5E BIOS have an ECC mode selection menu?

2) Per the X38 chip spec, it looks like there are registers to
adequately capture bit correction event data for logging. Has anyone
seen an ECC correction entry in their System Event log?
----
Pete Gebel pfgebel(deletethis)@crisperiodcom
Have the best day possible - all things considered

  • Re: Does the P5E really support ECC?
    ... functional ECC due to conflicting information. ... And Asus sez it doesn't: ... if the usual BIOS screens were present. ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: Can a 32 bit linux handle 12 GIG of RAM?
    ... Location: System Board Or Motherboard Use: System Memory Error ... Correction Type: Single-bit ECC Maximum Capacity: 16 GB Error ... 4G of registered DDR is $379 on Newegg. ... it looks like you need register DDR ECC DIMMs. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Intel Z77 chipset and ECC memory support question
    ... The memory interface is on the CPU. ... Lane wiring, from CPU ECC pins, to DIMM slot ECC pins ... BIOS capable of turning on ECC features. ... in the BIOS (as I don't currently have ECC DIMMS installed). ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: mainboard advice for Althlon x64
    ... with A8N SLI deluxe, I guess I will have enough SATA connections for hot ... Since the invention of SATA, ... And if you want reliable computing, you might consider RAM with ECC. ... performance ECC DIMMs, so expect the ECC DIMMs you find, to be more ...