Re: No video output - graphics card or motherboard?

There is no description of beep codes in your posting. Are you getting
more than a single short beep from the computer speaker at startup ?

I don't understand where the multicolored video bars are coming from.

Another element in the computer, is power. Many Asus boards have a
hardware monitor page in the BIOS, and if you could look in there, it might
list the measured values for 3.3V, 5V, 12V and so on. Maybe the power
supply is defective.

With the video card removed, do you get a "missing video" beep code ?

With the video card and the RAM removed, do you get a RAM beep code ?

(Only remove components, with the power unplugged, so you know for
sure there is no +5VSB active in the computer.)

Those beep codes, require the processor to execute some of the BIOS
code. Complete silence would mean the processor is not running.
(At least, as far as I know, the beep is BIOS code commanded, rather
than being generated by a hardware chip autonomously. But there are
chips that can generate a beep on their own. So I suppose that is
not out of the realm of possibility.)

Paul

I haven't tried booting with the graphics cards or RAM removed.
Otherwise there are no beeps when it starts up.

Tom

By the way, does Asus use the standard Phoenix BIOS codes. If not,
what would be the codes for RAM and/or graphics failure?

Tom

  • Re: OT: Suggestions?
    ... It has Award BIOS dated May 6, ... long beep then 1 short beep before the screen displays. ... "Freedom, true freedom, is nothing more than intellectual advantage over others." ... "Apparently this group has got the market cornered on stupid. ...
    (alt.2600)
  • Re: Black screen on boot: MB or PS defect?
    ... resetting bios via MB jumper settings ... One of the first things I do on that motherboard, ... No beep pattern to speak of. ... remove the video card and retest. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Computer wont boot
    ... If it did not beep it would not come on. ... off the CPU and cleaned it and re pasted it and put it back on, ... The BIOS probably did a "quick" memory test or no memory test at all. ... The DMI/ESCD, is a BIOS feature, which records hardware inventory based ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Odd, non-post beeping
    ... Pepper von Evil wrote: ... Oddly enough my laptop has also started a similar beep over the last two weeks... ... finding a program that will report the temps I've tried Everest, and I've looked in the BIOS (which seems to be really idiot proof with all the options they give... ... Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, ...