Re: M2N32-SLI Premium Vista won't post

John wrote:
Since some questions were raised in other posts, I'll add this piece to describe what I'm doing.

First, I think I know the basics. I have been doing computer hardware for thirty years now. This will be my third PC build. I imagine some would consider me a wierdo for the lengths I go to prevent static discharge problems, but I started before they discovered how to make static resistant plastic bags. The techies always complained that 1-2 out of 3 shipments in plastic bags arrived DOA. They insisted that the crew at the other end didn't test the boards before they shipped. But they had.
<SNIP>

Sorry John,

I did not mean to insult your intelligence. When replying to someone on the net, you never know the skill level of the person in question. Having built my own machines and other for family members, I have had some quirky problems with my own systems. Most having to deal with either a short, or some other simple, often overlooked error.

I'd like to discuss trying various things with RAM, but remember, I don't get the first beep out of the board with nothing on it. Adding CPU, memory, etc. doesn't change that.

You said that this has happened on the previous two boards, exactly like this one, right? This is really baffling. When you try another CPU, that could tell you something. Of course, check your cpu and ram in another machine, if you have access to that friend's equipment.

I'll look later for your reply...

--
My Rig:

MB: Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless board
CPU: AMD X2 4200
RAM: 2 gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 RAM
VIDEO: MSI NX7600GT VT2D 256 Geforce 7600GT,
STORAGE DRIVE: Western Digital WD3200KS 320 gb sata drive
BOOT DRIVE: Western Digital 150 gb Raptor
External Drive: Western Digital 320 GB Dual-Option Backup
OPTICALS: 2 lite on optical drives; dvd and (DVD RW-DVD/R-DL DVD Multi-Recorder)
CASE: Cooler Master Mystique 631 case
POWER SUPPLY: Cooler Master SLI 550w Power Supply
Wireless: Realtek RTL8187 802.11g 54mps USB 2.0 Network Adapter
Printer: HP Laserjet 1020
MONITOR: Viewsonic 19" WS VA1912wb
Primary O.S.: Windows XP SP2 (32Bit Edition)
Secondary O.S.: openSUSE 10.2 64 Bit Edition

  • Re: disks have wrong names
    ... John wrote: ... I tried unplugging the dvd but then I ... or higher first, then relabel your 2nd hard disk as ... and Zip drives as Z: ...
  • Re: DVD burner with laptop or external
    ... drives have far too short a life before one of the lasers fail. ... Now the 1x DVD burner in my 5 year old Toshiba 5205 notebook is ... Nowadays that means Celeron CPU. ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)
  • Re: Recorded TV playback
    ... I still believe that the problem is that since MCE uses VMR9 decoding and ... It could be that there is some microcode support that the CPU needs that ... both in recording and playing. ... and not the USB/IEEE drives? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: DVDs are not playing or recognized
    ... across the answer on this problem at least for one of the drives. ... it removed made my DVD ROM drive work, ... I did a fresh install of XP Pro SP 2 less than 3 ... ever install Nero again. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.video)
    ... best virtual cd dvd emulator ... cd lab physiology rom virtual ... create virtual cd dvd drives freeware ... download trial virtual cd dvd ...
    (sci.electronics.cad)