Re: Burnt ATX Connectors on ASUS Motherboard

"Paul" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eunhf4$paq$1@xxxxxxxxxxx
Eric Wolfe wrote:
"Paul" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
deKever wrote:
Does any one have any clue as to where I might get an ATX power
connector set, to replace the ones on the mobo and the cable. I
contact
both ASUS and Antec, the power supply manufacturer, but all they tell
me
is to request an RMA number. The mobo and PS are out of warranty, so
they are no help. I removed the 5 volt pins on the mobo, they are
totally coroded. I contacted Molex The manufacturer of the Connector,
but they don't bother responding.

DeKever
ATX spec:

http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/atx/ATX12V_1_3dg.pdf

Motherboard - Molex 39-29-9202
PSU shell - Molex 39-01-2200
PSU pins - Molex 39-00-0039

Sample catalog pages and Engineering drawings:
http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T071/P0161.pdf
http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T071/P0162.pdf
http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/039012200_sd.pdf
http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/039299202_sd.pdf

Mouser.com actually has all the parts.

Motherboard end - $2.57 for one 20 pin solder connector. Tin plated.
http://www.mouser.com/search/refine.aspx?Ntt=39-29-9202

PSU Nylon shell - $1.12 for a 20 pin shell.
http://www.mouser.com/search/refine.aspx?Ntt=39-01-2200

20 crimp pins for PSU Nylon shell - $1.80 total

http://www.mouser.com/search/Refine.aspx?Ne=1447464+254016&Ntt=*39000039*&Ms
b=0&Mkw=39-00-0039&N=1323038+0
So Mouser wins a prize. Digikey didn't stock the Mobo end.

Paul

Very thorough answer! Any speculation as to why such corrosion would
occur?
I've never seen it happen before, but I'm sure I'd never like it to
happen
to me!

Eric

Well, the OP says "Burnt" in the Subject line, so my guess is
too much current was drawn on the +5V rail. I believe the pins
are rated for 6 amps each, on the main power connector.

While it doesn't happen too often, sometimes the motherboard
designer makes a mistake when working out how much current can
be safely carried. This board powers two AthlonMP processors
from the +5V rail, and that can cause the 6 amp per pin rating
to be exceeded. Leading to some people experiencing burnt
pins, as shown in the pictures below.

http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?t=80001

Motherboard damage:
http://forums.2cpu.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2498&d=1165334443

PSU connector damage:
http://forums.2cpu.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2499&d=1165334455
Yes. This was a very common problem with the Tyan Tiger (S2460)
motherboards, and quite a few similar ones using processor pairs like this
(and quite a few of the early single P4 boards as well). This was why the
extra 12v connector was added to the ATX power supply specifications. The
processors don't have to be powered from the 5v rail for problems. When
you look at the average consumption, of a pair of these processors, add
some power for other things, and even the 12v rail has problems delivering
this much...
The systems don't have to exceed the specs at all. The 'specs', are a
little generous on their rating for the connector pins, and some
manufacturers use different metals for the pins and sockets. When systems
are left with the plugs reasonably heavily loaded, accelerated dissimilar
metal corrosion can start at the surface, which then heats the pins
further, and things get worse. :-(
It used to be standard advice on some machines with boards that had this
problem, to remove the plugs once a year, and give them a wipe of contact
oil, then re-insert them.

Best Wishes

  • Re: Carvin X60-A: Screamin POS
    ... the laptop computer. ... The power connector becomes intermittent, it won't charge, the ... pins, and it's dead Jim. ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • Re: Checking Omega Race voltages
    ... negative lead of the multimeter to check the power going out. ... are 8 wires going from the filter to the linear power supply, ... that carry power to the motherboard at the connector - not to the ... sticking out enough to make good contact with the pins on the board. ...
    (rec.games.video.arcade.collecting)
  • Re: Any 3B1 alive?
    ... Is the 18-pin connector to the ... system board ribbon cable a standard type used on other power ... However, the pins are standard Molex style pins, and can be ... measure resistance from the first to the next to ...
    (comp.sys.3b1)
  • Re: Big Standby problem
    ... If you have a regular sized motherboard and you buy a MicroATX ... have to connector are on two rows and are not next to each other. ... have the first 2 pins on the bottom row that are for my HD LED light, ... on the top row are for my power LED light. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Burnt ATX Connectors on ASUS Motherboard
    ... I removed the 5 volt pins on the mobo, ... I contacted Molex The manufacturer of the Connector, ... PSU Nylon shell - $1.12 for a 20 pin shell. ... are rated for 6 amps each, on the main power connector. ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)