Re: Updating Bios 1001-1014

<edavid3001@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Booting from a floppy to reflash the bios can be just as risky as any other
method... There is no 100% safe way of doing it.

This motherboard has the ASUS CrashFree BIOS2.

"The CrashFree BIOS2 feature now includes the BIOS auto-recovery
function in a support CD. Users can reboot their system through the
support CD when a bootable disk is not available, and go through the
simple BIOS auto-recovery process. ASUS motherboards now enable users
to enjoy this protection feature without the need to pay for an
optional ROM. "

Is it still unsafe to do a flash upgrade?

Venom wrote:

I am not casting aspersions on the OP here but some folks know their way
around computers better than others and what works for you may turn into a
nightmare for others.

I was responding to this comment. If everything does not work 100% it may or may
not be a "nightmare". My definition of nightmare may be significantly different
from other peoples.

For some, just realizing that you can boot from the cd included with the mobo to
reflash may fall into the nightmare category due to ignorance of that capability.

My point was that booting from a floppy to reflash is no guarantee that things
will go as planned. The inference I drew from his comment was that he thought the
utility that allows reflashing directly from windows was somehow more unsafe. I
would disagree with that. There are means of a botched reflash no matter what
method you use, and all can have equally messy fixes.

(*>

.