Re: P5VD1-X - completely dead - any ideas?

In article <ap2pt1lb9ascu5n0fpd5kr11nujfnr2t7q@xxxxxxx>,
pinball.-(at)-.litz.org wrote:

> Updated the BIOS to version 0402, discovered that it hangs upon boot when it
> tries to scan my Promise ATA133 controller.
>
> Downgraded back to the factory bios it shipped with, 0127, which I'd
saved when
> I upgraded to 0402. Downgrade failed - system decided to "failsafe"
upon reboot
> to the ROM version that was on the Install CD shipped with the motherboard (as
> it was still in the CDROM), successfully did so, and rebooted.
>
> And - nothing.
>
> Board is dead. Power light, IDE light stuck on, no beep, no POST, nothing.
>
> Clearing CMOS does nothing. Tried every trick in the book.
>
> Can't get it to boot in any configuration of video card, memory, or cpu -
> nothing.
>
> Anyone got any ideas? Or is this thing now totally fried?
>
> It seems to me that things are NOT right when Asus' OWN UTILITY destroys their
> product ... Based on my experience, their "Crashfree" bios utility is
smoke and
> mirrors. Rather than do what they say it should do, it destroyed my board.
>
> As it is, I've lost an entire weekend's uptime on the machine and will
probably
> have to fight w/my vendor to get the board replaced as they are notoriously
> sticky about dead boards due to the #s they receive back from overclockers.
>
> Not to mention the time I now have to take off from work, now, to go by the
> store during business hours.
>
> I am NOT amused. Frankly, I expected better from an ASUS product.
>
> If ANYONE has any ideas, I'm all ears.
>
> Thx ...
>
> - JD

Go to badflash.com or one of the many other companies providing
BIOS flashing services. You can get them to send you a new BIOS
chip, with whatever version of BIOS you want in it. If you are
willing to waste more time, you can send them the current BIOS
chip and have that flashed.

It might be a lot faster to find someone with an EEPROM programmer
in your city, and have them do the reflash. I wouldn't assume the
board is dead, but just needs a good flash image.

And your experience is not unique. There was one other Asus
motherboard, where reflashing the BIOS from the motherboard
CD guaranteed a dead board. So it has happened before.

As a result, my recommendation, when seeing the "checksum
error" on boot, is not to offer the CD, but do some other
things first, like clear the CMOS. In some cases, an error
message like the "checksum error", can be caused by overclocking
reducing the available access time to the EEPROM, and
corrupting the data on reads. So the error message doesn't
always mean the data itself is bad - it could just be a
problem caused by an overclock on the interface to the
flash chip.

The best way to avoid down time on a system, when doing
BIOS flashes, is to use a BIOS Savior. That is a product
that plugs into the flash chip socket, and it has a second
flash chip on it. The BIOS Savior costs about $25 USD or so,
and if you fail to flash one ROM chip, you flip a switch and
run from the second chip. As long as you try to flash one
of the chips, and boot from the other, you cannot fry both
BIOS chips. In a way, you can pay $25 for a BIOS Savior
as insurance, or pay $25 to badflash.com for a new chip.
At least with the BIOS Savior, you only spend the $25 once.

In some countries, Asus also offers a replacement chip for
$25. Even though the BIOS chip itself is only $3 or $4 at
retail, from companies like Mouser Electronics.

Paul
.