Re: Choice of two boards and CPUs

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:56:58 GMT, nospam@xxxxxxxxxx (Paul) wrote:

>In article <438c6fc0$0$25858$afc38c87@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "nospam"
><nospam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a couple of Asus motherboards with their respective CPUs. One of
>> the boards is an Asus P4C800E Deluxe with an Intel P4 3.0 GHZ CPU. The
>> other board is an Asus A8V Deluxe with an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (Newcastle
>> core). I would like to build a system for home use (gaming and some video
>> editing) from one of these boards. Which would be the better performer (the
>> AMD board or the Intel one) to base the new PC on?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shane
>
>In terms of memory driving capabilities at stock speeds, the Intel
>board will likely be less cranky. Specifically, driving four sticks
>of memory on the Intel will cause fewer headaches than on the Athlon64.
>(The Intel side, relies on the Northbridge on the motherboard to
>drive memory. The Athlon64 processor drives the memory itself.)
>
>There are plenty of benchmarks around the net. This one is not
>as complete as it could be (I don't see Venice here - Venice has
>SSE3 support), but it is very easy to use. Try the different tasks,
>from the right hand menu. For some things the Athlon64 will be
>faster, and depending on the application, the Intel might win
>(it depends on how an application is coded, and whether the
>extensions the Athlon64 offers, are used by the software).
>More recent benchmarks on the web, are showing more wins for
>the Athlon64, but you should keep an open mind about this,
>and find benchmarks representative of the applications that
>you use. (A fanboi site will only use apps where the Athlon64
>is a big winner.)
>
>http://www23.tomshardware.com/index.html?modelx=33&model1=14&model2=62&chart=21
>
>To put it another way, I own the P4C800E, and if I was
>purchasing now, would buy the Athlon64 plus 2x1GB of memory.
>(The 1GB sticks might be cheaper after New Years day.) I
>would buy memory with the 64Mx8 chips on it, and not the
>super-cheap memory. By buying two sticks, I would be hoping to
>avoid problems that might happen with four sticks (if you
>consider running command rate 2T to be a problem or not).
>A purchase of 2x512MB will be even less hassle, as there is only
>one practical way to make the 512MB DDR modules, and so you won't
>have to guess at whether the module uses "nice" chips or not.
>
>To consider pathological cases, the Athlon64 runs at 2.2GHz. The
>P4 in your example at 3.0GHz. Someone here had a scientific application,
>and found the Athlon64 behaved more like its 2.2Ghz clock
>speed, than its "AMD 3500+ P.R." rating. If a particular piece
>of code does things that don't agree with the Athlon64, then it
>becomes slower than the P4. If you are a gamer, there is no
>contest, and for games the Athlon64 will blow the doors off the
>P4. All I can honestly say, is if your main purpose is gaming,
> [...]

I've been running 4 sticks of 1GB Samsung memory on a P4C800E Deluxe
for a couple of months with no problem. So far the system has been
very stable but I'm keeping my fingers crossed since this particular
board appears to be a bit quirky.

  • Re: Anandtechs Conroe vs. FX60
    ... unit, just like Conroe. ... simple decoders and 3 ALUs just like Athlon64, ... Intel on the other hand did have a decode bottleneck due ... AMD wins all the real benchmarks and Intel ties or wins ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips)
  • Re: Choice of two boards and CPUs
    ... In terms of memory driving capabilities at stock speeds, the Intel ... of memory on the Intel will cause fewer headaches than on the Athlon64. ... There are plenty of benchmarks around the net. ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: Mixing RAM
    ... the memory controller is inside the processor. ... The single data bus is what makes the processor ... I see that the Athlon64 processors are ... A Sempron in the list looked like it was based on ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: Athlon XP 3000+ versus AMD 64 3000?
    ... If the encoding process really depends on memory ... You can see the Athlon64 ... The Athlon64 in dual channel configuration, ... than the poor single channel equiv ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Out of the Loop
    ... >The Athlon64 and it's derivatives are top-dog now. ... integrated memory controller and a number ... >(not really worthwhile anymore IMO), dual channel memory "Socket 939" ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips)