Re: Upgarde the cpu on a A7V333

Thank you very much Paul. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Dave

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:27:44 GMT, nospam@xxxxxxxxxx (Paul) wrote:

>http://support.asus.com.tw/cpusupport/cpu_support_right_master.aspx?type=1&name=A7V333&SLanguage=en-us&cache=1
>
>According to that list, it looks like you need a PCB board revision
>number of 2.00 to run at FSB333. The PCB revision number is usually
>printed in white numbers and should be near where the model number
>is printed on the motherboard. I also think there was a sticker
>somewhere on the packaging of the motherboards that were FSB333
>ready.
>
>Another option is the AthlonXP-M processors, which are multiplier
>unlocked. You need a motherboard that can set the multiplier
>to use one of those, and have to do some research on your
>motherboard first, to see if anyone has done it before. I use
>one of those mobile processors at 200x11 on my A7N8X-E Deluxe.
>If your motherboard is limited to FSB266, you could aim for
>133x16.5 to get to 2200MHz. (These processors were available
>at Newegg and there might still be some for sale.)
>
>This web page has info on available multipliers. The multiplier
>is a five bit code, and on many motherboards, a chip drives four
>of the bits, under BIOS control. To get multipliers 13x and
>higher, requires controlling the fifth bit, by using a wire
>stuffed in the S462 socket.
>
>http://fab51.com/cpu/barton/athlon-e23.html
>
>When doing multiplier testing, you drop the clock to 100MHz,
>in order to avoid driving the processor to too high a speed.
>Once you figure out how the multipliers work, you can move
>back to 133MHz. If your motherboard is rated at 166Mhz, then
>166x13 would still require the wire trick in the socket.
>Accepting 166x12.5 = 2075MHz would not need a wire in the
>socket.
>
>Here is a picture of a wire trick. A tiny wire which is tinned
>on the outside is best, as bare copper can oxidize.
>
>http://img49.exs.cx/img49/8428/13multi2.jpg
>
>If you select "socket view" here, and try the various multiplier
>values, you can see the difference in the jumpers, between less
>than or equal to 12.5 and the 13 and above multipliers. Four
>of those bits can be driven by a chip on the motherboard, leaving
>only one that needs a wire.
>
>http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html
>
>In some cases, a software program can be used to load the multiplier
>into the MSR, allowing overclocking from within Windows. That
>program only works with mobile processors, but also requires a
>lucky motherboard to work. That program doesn't work with my
>A7N8X-E.
>
>HTH,
> Paul

  • Re: Difference between moible and standard AMD Athlon processor?
    ... Is this processor compatible with a regular desktop motherboard? ... Multiplier is unlocked. ... it won't request the exact same voltage ... With my brand new mobile processor, I set the input clock to the CPU ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Upgarde the cpu on a A7V333
    ... Another option is the AthlonXP-M processors, which are multiplier ... You need a motherboard that can set the multiplier ... 166x13 would still require the wire trick in the socket. ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: Difference between moible and standard AMD Athlon processor?
    ... Multiplier is unlocked. ... you can set the multiplier in the BIOS. ... The first time you start up the motherboard, ... it won't request the exact same voltage ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: P4S533 misdetecting P4 2.8 multiplier
    ... is a mobile processor with a low multiplier of 12x and a high ... CPU-Z reports that the cpu is Stepping 9, ... a good motherboard to do the overclocking with. ... would be the best thing for a Mobile for overclocking. ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: P4B533-E Bios problem upgrading CPU
    ... thatyou have should register a multiplier of 23, ... You bought a Mobile processor. ... and only a mobile chipset has the controls needed to change from ... The reason your current motherboard ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)