Re: A8N-E and SATA2 HDD speedup

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:24:58 +1200, Gordy <grg7nz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>The Hitachi feature tool can be used with other brands of
>>disks, if you want to take chances. For a person with a
>>SATA 150 only motherboard, say "bye-bye" to the disk if
>>you try it. Shifting to SATA 300 is _only_ for those who
>>own a SATA 300 motherboard. To restore a disk accidently
>>set to SATA 300 with the Hitachi feature tool, you will
>>need to find a SATA 300 motherboard to restore communication
>>and fix the disk.
>>
>>I just want to mention this, so there isn't a rash of
>>"my disk is busted" postings...
>>
>> Paul
>
>Thanks for reinforcing the TROUBLE that can be had and CARE needed in
>deciding to change a SATA drive config to SATA2 when you only have a
>SATA1 mother board..
>
>The Hitachi Feature Tool clearly states that yout HDD could be lost if
>you do not have a motherboard that supports SATA2.
>
>So experimenters... be careful.
>
>So it looks like all the benefits of SATA2 are a long way off.
>Small data cable is about the only plus at this time.
>
>Gordy
>.
If i recall the a8n-e is a s-ata 2 (3gb/s) capable.
Your Hitachi drive might not be compatible with the board. Personaly i
will get that mobo combined to a western digital sata2 120gi 8bm of
buffer. and i will get the se or re version that is used for 24hrs (se
only) service server. The (re) stand for raid edition or something...

Ps: my eide uata 133 maxtor diamond max plus 9 8mb buffer goes to
45-50mb/s on hdtach latest vr. sata=eiede imo. but i will give it a
try. I might go for a 10k rpm just to make sure i get something fast.

  • Re: A8N-E and SATA2 HDD speedup
    ... Shifting to SATA 300 is _only_ for those who ... To restore a disk accidently ... >set to SATA 300 with the Hitachi feature tool, ... >need to find a SATA 300 motherboard to restore communication ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • [SATA] sata-via : bug?
    ... I have a brand new Western Digital sata drive, ... motherboard on which I am trying to install various distros (with installers ... I have only one disk, ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Installing SATA Drivers - Driving Me Nuts
    ... motherboard in your machine uses the VIA KM800 ... need to properly interface to your SATA Drive. ... interface to your Hard Disk. ... the required Floppy Disk for the VT8237R SATA drivers ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: adding disk moves ad0 to ad4
    ... going straight to the hardware and skipping the bios for disk ... seen motherboards where toggling BIOS settings to do with PATA ... compatibility / SATA support changes the device number. ... busses on the motherboard -- probably one of those slots is taken up by ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: unreadable
    ... > When updating my motherboard and CPU, for my old motherboard had a faulty ... > I got a gigabyte motherboard with four sata raid controllers on board ... > The disk runs my three BIOS's read it and windows has the driver installed ...