Re: A7N8X-E failure?

Salty wrote:
> I noticed that my memory wasn't running at full speed and thought I
> would speed it up in the BIOS. Shouldn't of attempted it when home
> from work, tired and kids about, but I did. Anyway I think I
> increased the FSB to 200MHz (I have Athlon XP 2800)and so when I
> tried to boot got a POST about CPU overclocking. Tried to restart
> again and got the same. I now dont get any POST and PC won't start.
> I have tried resetting the CMOS. How can I get it started? If not
> what is the most likely thing to have been killed?

First, your cpu is not dead. It takes considerably more to do that.

Tell me how you resetted CMOS. Did you use the jumper on board? Was power
cable removed from the pc at the time, if not, pull and repeat.
Did you place back the "clear cmos" jumper as it was before? If not, do so.

One possibility is your bios data might have gone bad.

I've been there myself, overclocking too much, but a proper clear cmos
brought me back on track again.

In any case, if you do get your pc up and running again, leave memory speed
in sync with fsb. Do not set to 200, if you use 166MHz fsb. Performance will
be worse.

  • Re: Hibernate comes on by itself?
    ... >> BIOS is an acronym for basic input/output system. ... CMOS is a widely used type of semiconductor. ... >> non-volatile memory so that they are preserved even when the machine ... >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User ...
  • Bios Information Leakage
    ... Feedback from Bios Manufacturers: None ... - Physical memory access applyed to Keyboard buffer access ... faults which led to random memory dumps. ... infos concerning the CMOS role, ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: Hibernate comes on by itself?
    ... > BIOS is an acronym for basic input/output system. ... > CMOS is short for complementary metal oxide semiconductor. ... > CMOS is the physical computer chip that holds the BIOS settings in memory. ...
  • Re: Vista Wont POST or Boot After BIOS Mod
    ... This will remove any memory of changes that may be being held by a trickle of power (clearing cmos via jumper should work, but sometimes things don't do what they're supposed to). ... P35T-DQ6 m/b, Award BIOS V6.00PG, Intel E6750 cpu). ...
  • Re: P5K "overclocking failed" boot error
    ... The third boot went ok, ... The FSB is set at 333 and the multiplier is 8, ... The Corsair memory is also running at spec, ... if your BIOS isn't the latest stable version update that first. ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)