Re: P4P800-E Deluxe - Apacer 2x512MB PC-3200 CL2.5 (or not really CL 2.5!) - a word of warning + memtest86 freezing on Memory Size Probe.

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 22:05:09 GMT, nospam@xxxxxxxxxx (Paul) wrote:
<!-- snip original message snip -->

>Is that the "USB Legacy Support" [Enabled] bug ? If that setting
>is enabled, I think it causes problems for earlier versions of
>memtest. Try disabling it.
This was exactly it! But I need USB Legacy Support to operate
memtes86+... I've had to get my old trusty ps/2 keyboard to do that.

>In any case, there are plenty of shiny new versions of software
>on www.memtest.org. memtest86+ is currently at version 1.6 (and
>was based on the 3.2 code you are using, plus some bug fixes).
I've got memtest86+ v3.2 - it worked great ~8 hours running tests -
not a single problem. BTW: I've found out that PAT is enabled. It's
not suppossed to work for 865 chipset... ASUS vs. Intel... ASUS won
they made it again with help of a little "cheat" circuit.

>Increase Vdimm to at least 2.6V, and preferably, give the RAM
>a touch more, like 2.7V. That may help a bit.
Don't seem to find these settings in BIOS - I haven't seen a jumper to
adjust Vdimm... I'm not too keen on modifying motherboard either -
it's still under warranty.

>You are not finished testing, until you've tried the Prime95 "Torture
>Test" (mersenne.org)
8 hours straight - no problem.

> and tried some 3D games for a few hours. If
>you don't own any games,
6 hours straight of FarCry and CounterStrike: Source - demo loop and
me playing - no problem.

>download 3DMark2001SE and run the demo loop
>overnight - see if it is still running the next day.
>
>And in the RAM business, nothing should surprise you. If the chips
>have real manufacturer part numbers printed on them, you can look
>them up, and see if the actual chips are rated for use on that
>DIMM or not. If the chips have nothing printed on them, or some
>bogus manufacturers name (the "happy ram" company), we call that
>generic roulette.
Apacer chips and Apacer modules. I really should've purchased OCZ
2x512MB PC-3200 CL 2.5 kit - it's on sale now ;o(

> Paul
Thanks Paul for all the advice - now I have more confidence in my new
system!

  • Re: P4P800-E Deluxe - Apacer 2x512MB PC-3200 CL2.5 (or not really CL 2.5!) - a word
    ... First of all - thanks to Paul for great advice - now things are ... >And in the RAM business, ... If the chips ... >have real manufacturer part numbers printed on them, ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: 1977 original apple II restoration (continued)...
    ... Firstly I swapped out all the RAM for some that I recently purchased, ... Pushing reset does nothing. ... *two* bad DRAM chips. ... You should also take a *very* close look at the board traces to ...
    (comp.sys.apple2)
  • Re: Asus A7V8X RAM :[
    ... > no other RAM in the motherboard and it was error free. ... > Also I talked to someone in my comp sci class, he told me that Micron ... A double sided memory has two ... As for what channels the memory chips are taking, ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: IEEE-488 bus
    ... more ram (heck, i have 512mb ram sitting here for a year since my pc ... The bus would take into account not only what we just discussed (dual ... Real chips used or FPGA, ... Minimum system is the C64 architecture and glue logic. ...
    (comp.sys.cbm)
  • Re: label placed over RAM chips
    ... Yet regardless of the power of the CPU chips, ... it to cool the RAM modules instead of letting the entire intake ... These workstations all had the shroud over the CPU with a fan in the shroud, and part of the shroud covering the RAM also, plus another case fan. ... and the hard drive location was right behind the case air intake ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)