Replacing CPU

My PC is a 3 yr old HP Pavilion Desktop running 64 bit Windows Vista
Premium. CPU is AMD Phenom X4 9550 Quad-Core CPU. I believe the CPU
has been damaged by overheating and plan to replace it.

My question is: can I simply take out the old CPU and insert a new one
without any other changes, such as updating the BIOS? Will Windows
accept a different CPU (of the same type, or compatible different
type)? I understand that if you take a hard drive out of one PC and
install it in another, Windows will not work, so there must be
something in the original hardware that the Windows OS recognizes. Is
it the specific CPU, or something else on the motherboard?

  • Re: Would this be a good buy?
    ... and better graphics, but finding the time is a struggle. ... The real enthusiasts here know the difference between CPU ... boxes tend to have CPU and GPU of similar levels of pricing (if you want ... Windows 7 Home Premium (I'd advise getting Pro if you ever go ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • In the midst of chaos, an adventure can be found Topic Summary: A beginners journey into the realm o
    ... I've built it up and am installing windows. ... AMD CPU Driver & Optimizer. ... Quick restart then the mobo drivers, another restart and on go the ... I install ASUS PC Probe and the AI Booster utilities. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: 2003 Server slowed to a crawl
    ... click Processes then CPU column to sort by ... Investigate a possible Network problem (is there a broadcast storm ... >> method for telling the computer's processor that it needs attention. ... >> which have signed drivers (such hardware is sold with a Microsoft Windows ...
  • Re: Starting Windows 2000 hangs on new install.
    ... Windows Me is happy with either. ... CPU temperature ... If OK reboot from win2k installation disk (you may have to ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.setup)
  • Re: 2003 Server slowed to a crawl
    ... Check system uptime (pagefile.sys modified date or in Task Manager: CPU ... Remove unnecessary network protocols (NWLink IPX/SPX is often at fault ... which have signed drivers (such hardware is sold with a Microsoft Windows ...