Re: Need some help with startup

Seum wrote:

At this point, I'd suggest double checking the boot order
in the BIOS. Make sure the CD/DVD drive with the Win2K CD
in it, is "ahead" of the hard drive. This is how I typically
set my boot order in the BIOS.

Floppy
CDROM
Hard drive

My floppy doesn't work - only one IDE socket on my M'board.
I have a PCI floppy on order.
I had real trouble trying to get that Hard Drive on top of the
list of 4 in the Quick Boot Enabled in the BIOS.
It started with
1- Removable Dev.
2 - SATA
3 - ATAPI CD-ROM
4 - IDE Sony DVD RW

I wanted to get 4 (Sony) on top and managed it. I had serious trouble
putting 2 (SATA) for the 2nd and I left it. Having the SATA down lower seemed not to make a difference.

Your manual mentions the ability to press "F8" function
key early in boot.

That will cause a popup boot menu to appear. You use the cursor keys
to navigate and highlight the boot device you want to boot from.
There is an example here, of what that BIOS level screen looks like.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/Von_klumpen/boot_pop.jpg

All of your optical drives should be listed. Even a drive which
currently lacks a disc in the tray will be presented. Simply open
the tray (while the F8 menu is still on screen) and insert a
boot or installer disc, and when the optical drive has settled
down again, you can hit <Enter> and it should start booting from
the optical drive you selected.

I use the regular boot sequence (the one you've been trying to
program), when my machine is "stable" and I'm using the same
disk every day. I use the "F8" option at startup, when temporarily
using other OSes, add/removing disks, and so on. F8 saves time on
re-programming the boot menu every time.

This is something the earlier BIOS lacked, and with those, you're
stuck editing the boot menu every time.

To recognize F8, there is only a small window of opportunity. When
the main BIOS progress screen starts printing, you may see a
prompt to press <Delete> to enter the BIOS, or press <F8> for the
boot menu. That's when F8 will be recognized. If the main BIOS screen
disappears, and secondary BIOS progress screens appear (like trying to
find an IDE device on the ribbon cable), it may be too late to have
F8 detected. In which case, you'll need to control-alt-delete
or press the RESET hardware button and try again.

Paul
.