Re: BesTech 300W power supply

Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B) wrote:

Is it a good one? I removed one from an old (more than 4 years) HP
Pavilion PC (hp4088hk).

Should I just throw it out of the window? :)

You may want to search www.badcaps.net/forum for "Bestec" for
discussions of problems with that brand of PSU, including this thread,
"The Bestec Mystery Solved", about their old 12E models, which include
250W and 300W units:

www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=79664&highlight=bestec#post79664

JonnyGuru did their autopsy of a 250W 12E series Bestec:

"Bestec does have other models out there that don't tend to fry
mainboards - it's this 12E model in particular that has single
handedly flushed their reputation down the commode."

www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=154

They also did reviews of several cheap 300-650W PSUs below, and the
300W Delta could put out more power than some other brands rated for
much higher power:

www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=71

  • Re: FIXMBR with no Windows disk
    ... probably install a boot loader to allow me to boot to Windows XP and ... failure mode (VSB going overvolt and killing the MoBo). ... an extra 18quid for a replacement PSU, even though the Bestec in the ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: New PSU advice, please
    ... I need a new PSU. ... look at the Antec Earthwatts range. ... You would be amazed at how many great names use cheap circuit ... Bestec didn't fit the circuitry needed to achieve this. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: upgrade vs barebones?
    ... The Bestec PSUs commonly used in a lot ... often fried the MoBo via excessive 5VSB voltage. ... Given the cost of replacing a PSU and the cost ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: CPU 4+4 socket
    ... Without exception, any time I've seen components killed by the PSU, ... its either been some cheapo PC or at least a cheapo PSU. ... Actually, think back to the last time I fixed a box with a bestec, the PSU ... better quality at least, they do indeed tell a lie about their quality. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: Rebooting problem
    ... Had a squint inside the box and found to my chagrin the PSU is a bestec, ... I removed it and then checked the other hardware. ... Will get another tomorrow (NOT bestec) and see if that helps. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)