first build in a few years
- From: rafe <rayyfieldster@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 09:16:04 -0700 (PDT)
It's been 7-8 years since I built a system from scratch. Some of the
components arrived yesterday, so after spending a couple of hours
opening boxes and assembling components, I have a few questions:
1) Mobo is an Asus P5Q Deluxe (which strikes me as very well designed)
and the case is an Antec Three Hundred Illusion. I spent five minutes
looking for a case speaker cable before finding on line that the case
just doesn't come with one. No POST beeps anymore? Can I rely on the
BIOS bootup screen in case something's wrong?
2) The case comes with four fans, all with the big old-style power
cables: I've daisy-chained all the fans onto the one old-style power
connector from the PS, which I presume is okay. I'm used to
connecting at least one case fan to the motherboard for monitoring
purposes, but I guess -- especially since these fans have manual
controls -- that's another quaint old-fashioned idea.
3) Do people somehow thread the fan controls outside the box, or leave
them in? Not sure how to get them out without pinching the wire, or
rather, if it's worth the risk.
4) $110 for a COOLER MASTER RS-600-AMBA-D3 600 is almost as much as
the motherboard cost! For that money it better be completely
bulletproof and can last twenty years, 'cause I'd sure hate to think
all that money went into packaging the thing like a damned iPod.
- Prev by Date: Re: Liquid Cooling
- Next by Date: Re: first build in a few years
- Previous by thread: Liquid Cooling
- Next by thread: Re: first build in a few years