Re: how hard is it to build a server?

"Steve" <ivalid@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:MPG.24e780b684d592209896a0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In article <h5i1in$bi2$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
someone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx says...

I've built quite a few computes in my time from generic office desktops
fast gaming systems and even high end video editing systems, but I have
never tried a server. My boss has been given a generic quote for one and
wants to see if I can build it for less money than this company. Their
generic quote lists the following hardware:

2.13GHZ ZEON CPU
2GB RD RAM
DVD R/W
4-146 GB SCSI Hard Drives
PERC RAID controller
DRAC controller

On the hardware side of things is there anything really different from
building a server vs. a desktop pc? I'd be responsible for getting it up
and
running with OS and all drivers loaded then the company will come in and
install their software and configure the system.

Also unless they need some sort of specific config, could I get away with
SATA drives in place of the SCSI? I'm planning to ask their tech guys
what
the drives are going to be used for and how they want the drives
configed...
but I wanted another opinion.

So you've already done this?

<http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=How+to+build+a+server%3F&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g10&fp=-
Pw1cEIpNGU>

What kind of server did you plan on building?

I did google buidling a server and skimmed over a few articles and didn't
really see any major differences in building one vs. a desktop... at least
in terms of hardware. And that's why I asked in here... I wanted to get the
advice of people with a little more knowledge of building just to make sure.
:-)

  • Re: Upgrading server motherboard
    ... I used Paragon Drive Copy in the end for the image but I took many drivers ... I found the server board I was supplied had a fault and the customer in the ... relevant drives on your existing server, then restore the images to the new ... can effectively migrate hardware and restore onto the RAID of the new mobo. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Upgrading server motherboard
    ... I found the server board I was supplied had a fault and the customer in the ... relevant drives on your existing server, then restore the images to the new ... can effectively migrate hardware and restore onto the RAID of the new mobo. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: SBS 2003 UnResponsive after an Hour or so
    ... The Cerc SATA 2S appears to be a software (not hardware) Raid system, much like the software Raid that can be implemented in Windows 2003. ... I think at least one of the drives in the array has a problem. ... server so you can look at the health of the RAID array and/or drives? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: SBS2003 new server hard drives too small
    ... SBS hardware, and start with a fresh build, this process would be highly ... > However the brand new Dell poweredge server has one flaw. ... > 3) Eventually the server itself might not have enough free space. ... (doubt it will work on a DC especially with SATA drives) ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Please see System Specs inside and comment. Thank You! :)
    ... Don't forget, "this hardware," has 2 x dual-core 64-bit processors, so effectively it's like having 4 single processors. ... I suggested a 2nd 250GB drive with both drives deployed using RAID 1 mirroring to address the purchaser's backup concerns. ... This server is being considered for purchase in an environment with 33 Cadence products installed and a max of 20 remote Xwindow clients at any time. ...
    (comp.cad.cadence)