Re: how hard is it to build a server?

"Steve" <ivalid@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:MPG.24e780b684d592209896a0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In article <h5i1in$bi2$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
someone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx says...

I've built quite a few computes in my time from generic office desktops
fast gaming systems and even high end video editing systems, but I have
never tried a server. My boss has been given a generic quote for one and
wants to see if I can build it for less money than this company. Their
generic quote lists the following hardware:

2.13GHZ ZEON CPU
2GB RD RAM
DVD R/W
4-146 GB SCSI Hard Drives
PERC RAID controller
DRAC controller

On the hardware side of things is there anything really different from
building a server vs. a desktop pc? I'd be responsible for getting it up
and
running with OS and all drivers loaded then the company will come in and
install their software and configure the system.

Also unless they need some sort of specific config, could I get away with
SATA drives in place of the SCSI? I'm planning to ask their tech guys
what
the drives are going to be used for and how they want the drives
configed...
but I wanted another opinion.

So you've already done this?

<http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=How+to+build+a+server%3F&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g10&fp=-
Pw1cEIpNGU>

What kind of server did you plan on building?

I did google buidling a server and skimmed over a few articles and didn't
really see any major differences in building one vs. a desktop... at least
in terms of hardware. And that's why I asked in here... I wanted to get the
advice of people with a little more knowledge of building just to make sure.
:-)

.