Re: Hotfix question - X86FRE or X86CHK

Fred wrote:
I have downloaded hotfix KB835221 wich installs the Microsoft UAA bus driver for High Definition Audio.

The problem is the hot fix has two versions of kb835221.exe one in a folder named X86FRE and another in a folder named X86CHK. Both exe's a have diffeerent file size. I can find no info on which to use.

I am using XP PRO 32bit, Intel processor.

Anyone know which one is the correct one to use and or why there are two versions?

Thanks,

Fred

http://www.osronline.com/cf.cfm?PageURL=showThread.CFM?link=99972

"Checked OS is intended for developers, not end users. (CHK)"

So CHK is "checked" and FRE is "free". A retail OS installation
is a "free" one.

And I'd never heard of those terms before...

It's not "free" in terms of what you paid for it.

Just for fun, is the CHK one bigger than the FRE ? In the
link above, they claimed there is more debugging code
and ASSERTs in the code. So in theory, the CHK version
should have more bytes of code.

You should use the FRE one, and while you're at it,
figure out why you got a version like that in the first
place.

You don't have to go to Microsoft to get a UAA driver.
or example, many HDaudio drivers bundle UAA in a directory
in the installer, and they install it for you. What you get
in that case, is the English version of UAA.

RealTek HDaudio

MSHDQFE folder

kb888111w2ksp4.exe 725KB
kb888111xpsp1.exe 757KB
kb888111xpsp2.exe 704KB

Paul

Paul, thanks for the response. I figured if anyone could help it would be you. The above will not install if you are on SP3. The only way I could find on install on SP3 is with hotfix KB835221. At least now I know to use the "FRE"

BTW... Size = 698KB for chk and 643 for fre.

Link to this hotfix
(http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%20XP/latest/UAA_HD_Audio_OOB_release/5011
/free/198658_intl_i386_zip.exe)

Password: q-RBOt7 (required to unzip it)

Fred

The weird thing about those files (the two .exe I unzipped), is they're dated
8/18/2004. Which implies they were released well before SP3. So maybe they're
a bug fix compared to 888111 ? (Or added Win Server 2003 compatibility ?)
I don't really understand the history of the UAA releases.

I keep the files from my WinXP SP3 CD on the hard drive, and
the SP3.cab file has hdaudbus.sys in it. The version of that
file is 5.10.01.5013. Your download, once you burrow into it
with 7-zip and extract the file, is 5.10.01.5011. So it seems
the HDaudio files included with SP3 itself, have a later
release number. (If you can call what Microsoft does, "release
control".)

I know there are some issues with install order for some HDaudio
drivers, but don't really know how you go about resolving them
for SP3. I think my RealTek installed without a problem on this
computer (installed from an OEM WinXP SP3 CD), but because
of the bloat, I've since switched back to my trusty $10 sound
card :-)

Paul

  • Re: No sound from Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H
    ... Jim - Have you installed XP SP3? ... and didn't install the sound drivers from the CD that came ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: ACPI errors after sp3
    ... but SP3 would install a new ACPI.Sys and PCI.sys ... fully ACPI compliant with SP3. ... Microsoft Update require me to reinstall these same drivers and why would ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: ACPI errors after sp3
    ... "golf18" wrote: ... I did a complete rebuild as when removed SP3 still had errors. ... the drivers on Machine and see if I can get rid of the error. ... the safe mode following failed install would not work. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: WinXP pro SP3 destroys USB connectivity
    ... because of some problem detected by it's components, one of which is USB controller. ... OTOH, if they haven't heard about this issue, maybe it does not occur on the final SP3. ... If Lenovo support does not know about SP3 drivers update for your machine, just ask them for the latest pack, ... If they provide specific instructions how to clean install SP3, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: ACPI errors after sp3
    ... I did a complete rebuild as when removed SP3 still had errors. ... sp2 from cd and only loaded drivers needed for motherboard and Kaspersky ... the drivers on Machine and see if I can get rid of the error. ... the safe mode following failed install would not work. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)