Re: Can't boot from XP dixk

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 14:32:00 -0500, metspitzer <kilowatt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 11:17:08 -0800 (PST), Eric
<eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Jan 15, 6:27 pm, metspitzer <kilow...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I formatted my hard drive in another machine and have it in my
computer.  I want to boot from XP and install it to the hard drive.

When I boot, I get the error.......NTLDR missing.

I know the boot disk works because I tried it in another machine.

The machine acts like it doesn't try to read the CD.

I guess the next thing to try is swap CD readers?

Thanks

Maybe the info on this page will help you find a fix -

NTLDR is Missing - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

Eric
PC Buyer Beware!
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk

Thanks, I searched for the error and the suggestions.

Even if my hard drive is not installed properly, I know I have a
valid boot CD in my computer.

The first boot option in the bios is set to boot to CD.

I guess I could unplug my hard drive.

If this works, I won't have anywhere to install the OS too, but I can
at least be able to tell if the problem in the drive.

Thanks

Unplugging the hard drive allowed the computer to boot to CD.

So........now what can I do? I want to install the OS to the drive I
have to disconnect to allow a boot.

  • Re: XP HOME BOOT FAILURE
    ... Boot the system, start tapping F8, when the menu appears, select ... download install and run the application: ... A repair install should bypass that but it will ... >> on, follow the screens. ...
  • Re: Dual Boot; worried about overwriting C: Boot Drive with Win2k
    ... > replacement, I decided to install that as a slave drive, but I have not ... I also want to dual boot, ... DO NOT install the Linux boot loader on ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: boot sector f*ed
    ... "I updated the machine and it doesn't boot anymore". ... Please capture the output from running fdisk and bsdlabel on the problem disk ... Soft updates is a technique employed by the filesystem to ensure that the file ... application to install the 64bit FBSD with flashplugin on the portable ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Windows Xp crash
    ... The Bios is not showing any hard drives. ... Message came up "Disk Boot failure.: ... I tried about a week ago to install Windows 7 on the second hard ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Start Menu, Icons Not Appearing
    ... Also, make sure your system has no malware, download, install and run Ad ... Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive, ... To Setup Windows XP now, ... To Repair a Windows XP Installation using Recovery Console press R. ...