Re: Thoughts and Q's on this budget upgrade please...
- From: Paul <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 00:06:19 -0400
Another thing to read in the 9600 reviews, is pay attention to the
comments about "this processor is slower than my old one". I can think
of a couple scenarios for programs -
Well, my plan is to install gentoo on this box. which is what i have installed right now. Not really sure if it'll be able to use the quad-core
processor effectively. Any ideas?
1) Many older programs have a single thread of execution.
When you run one of those, it uses only one of the four cores. The
processor then feels relatively "sluglike", and it could be that a
higher clock rate processor from a previous generation, can beat
your new purchase.
The answer to that question, may lie in a Gentoo forum.
I don't have enough fancy software for Linux here, to
even guess whether any of it is multicore aware.
Generally speaking, the makers of software do not provide
assistance to their customers, in terms of what computing
platform is best. It means a potential customer for the
software, has to find test results that some other customer
has prepared for them.
My best guess right now, is a dual core may be a better
fit for you. But I have no facts to back that up with.
- Prev by Date: Re: Problem with booting into WinXP
- Next by Date: Re: cooling the northbridge?
- Previous by thread: Re: Thoughts and Q's on this budget upgrade please...
- Next by thread: Re: Thoughts and Q's on this budget upgrade please...