Re: At last, a new rig !

On Tue, 27 May 2008 19:37:50 +1000, "Phil Abel" wrote:

G'day all
Im looking to finally upgrade my overworked and tired old P4 / TI-4200
gaming computer.

My son did just that a couple of weeks ago. And it was from a slightly
higher spec'd P4 game box that has gone on to a friend's now very
happy home.

I have been out of the loop the last couple of years, but
I've been researching hard the last few nights, and have come up with the
following rig that is JUST within my budget.

Okay. I just spent the last of my technology budget too.

M/B
ASUS P5K-E-WIFI S775, QuadCore, P35, FSB1333, 2xPCIEx16, RAID, 1394a,
GbLAN, ATX ASUS

I spec'd a P5K for my son as well.

CPU
INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6850/3.0GHz/4MB CACHE/1333FSB/LGA775

Since WOW has gone multithreaded for multicores I spec'd the
incredible deal of the Q6600 quad core 2.4GHz with 8 M. It prices
out here at $218.

Your mileage may vary but there have been NO complaints from
the 21 year old across the basement from me.

MEMORY
Corsair TWIN2X2048-8500C5DF 2GB (2x XMS2 1GB) PC-8500 (1066MHz) DDR2 RAM,
2x240-pin DIMMs, Non ECC,

Nice dual channel stuff. WinXP sees only about 3G, but would 4G be an
option?
Still two slots but future proof for life of your board. Vista sucks but
it is the
future.

HDD
WESTERN DIGITAL SATA 3.5", RAPTOR/150GB/1000RPM/SATA/16M CACHE

Nice, 250G SATA2's are about $56 here.

V/CARD
ASUS EN9600GT-HTDI-1G 1GB, DDR3, PCIE2.0, HDTV, 2xDVI-I, HDMI, HDCP

8800GT 512M plays Crysis and WOW at 21 year old satisfaction speeds and
high resolutions. Trade off lesser 9600GT - the future, maybe - vs
8800GT
built like a tank but possibly yesteryear.

LCD MONITOR
ASUS VW222U 22.1"/2MS/1000:1/WSXGA+/SPKR

The son went and got himself a Samsung, hdmi glossy screen and sayz ftw
a lot.

  • Re: XP OEM or XP Upgrade, Help With Decision Please
    ... >> pinching old sod and just go a buy the XP Upgrade from e.g. PC World ... Maybe if I give my son this version when I make his ... Would the XP Pro OEM allow me to format C:\ and install the OS, ... formatted drive with all partitions blanked? ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: postinstall of x11-common fails
    ... Deep in the middle of the xorg upgrade on my AMD-64 [running etch]. ... Or will that break the package ... My son, Henk, on a 32-bit Athlon runnin etch, can't ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: upgrade from premium to ultimate
    ... the school had distributed the inadequate upgrade. ... Ask the University IT guy if the Ultimate Upgrade disk contains Service ... My son just got a Dell Studioo 1735 with HOme premium. ...
  • Re: D300 worth the upgrade from the D200
    ... D200 that I was thinking of giving my D200 to my son and getting ... It adds logic to the upgrade. ... be upgraded since the battary pack from the D200 does not fit the D300 ... Why a battery pack? ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: Apple Computer Joke.....nbc
    ... upgrade from our Vaio to an iMac, got our son a mini, and got the ...
    (rec.music.artists.springsteen)