Re: Multiple UPS Batteries

"DevilsPGD" <spam_narf_spam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:fm5nr3thcioc63que2oqllcv37ka55tu01@xxxxxxxxxx
In message <OOadnb0CsbAV6ibanZ2dnUVZ_vCknZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxx> "philo"
<philo@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On my job I sometimes get access to de-commissioned professional quality
UPS's
and their batteries. I think if the power went out here for 24 hours, my
computers would stay running!

Sweet. I picked up four APC 1250VA units for ~$50 a pop several years
ago from a office liquidation, one set of batteries failed, but
otherwise they're in working order, although with shorter battery life
then when I first got 'em.

I'm just waiting for a second unit's batteries to get bad enough to
justify purchasing more, then I'll go grab a bulk discount and replace
the whole set.

Right now, my biggest concern is getting through shorter outages as when
the kids plug in the vacuum, or when my heater, water cooler,
humidifier and laser printer all fire up at once, the breaker does it's
thing.

I currently get about 35 minutes for my two file+VMWare servers, over an
hour for the cable modem, BSD based firewall, active directory server
and VoIP box, and about 25 minutes for my desktop with two 24" LCDs.

Not bad for $200 four or five years ago.

You got a good deal for sure.

I have so many batteries here and UPS's that when my GF and I are each
sitting at our own machines
and there's a power failure...we sometimes don't even know about it until we
go into another room and try to turn on a light.
usually, the failures are pretty brief though

  • Re: charger? (again) deep cycle batteries
    ... do realise though that in the event of a prolonged power cut I'm going ... very red faced standing over three flat batteries. ... For my emergency power I use gell cells, ... The lights have already been out 4 times, ...
    (misc.survivalism)
  • Re: Force Automakers To Go Electric
    ... when you realize that their batteries can serve as local power ... sources as well as power consumption points. ... time, grid load or anything. ... depending on how much you need the vehicle that day. ...
    (sci.energy)
  • Re: Q. re: ratings for short circuit and open circuit
    ... power number (watts) by multiplying volts times amps. ... round" number), becasue that has to go into the batteries, in turn because ... easy energy budget - .004 watts per LED vs .085 per LED. ...
    (sci.electronics.basics)
  • Re: Vectors (cpu type idea)
    ... (more fuel means bigger facility, ... China, India, and Japan use large amounts of nuclear power (uncluding ... which then they only burn a small amount of it ... have, and existing battery capacities, the batteries would likely be fairly ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: How to quickly turn on/off N-FET switching high side of 55V?
    ... Wouldn't power dissipation ratings also be highly dependent on the ... package that the FET was in? ... The switching time of a cmos gate, typically under 10ns, ... is this just a bunch of batteries to ...
    (sci.electronics.design)