Re: Pci / Pci express

In article <fk47b7$kk5$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, medico says...
Hi group

Is there a simple explanation as to the difference between PCI and PCI
express cards?
Are the slots the same size, are the cards interchangeable?

My mobo P4VM800 Asrock claims 3 slots with PCI specification 2.2, my
question therefore is really where does PCI 2.2 lie in relation to PCI and
PCI express and which cards do I need?

Thanks in advance to all those that take the time to give a sensible reply.

PCI is completely different to PCI Express and the cards aren't
interchangeable. PCI 2.2 has no relation to PCI Express at all and
merely indicates that the slots conform to PCI 2.2 standards.

--
Conor

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.

  • Re: ATI Radeon 9600se VS ATI X300se
    ... if Phil's motherboard only has PCI Express slot he should be aware ... higher end PCIex cards burn much hotter- think about system cooling. ... > computer that uses AGP graphics cards. ... Note that computers that use PCI Express 16 video cards ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: More than one audio codec on a PC mobo
    ... The goal was to use sound chips because of their attractive pricing ... If you don't want to roll your own cards, find a Magma PCI cage. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: More than one audio codec on a PC mobo
    ... The goal was to use sound chips because of their attractive pricing ... If you don't want to roll your own cards, find a Magma PCI cage. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: What motherboards are based on Intel 915 and Intel 945 chipsets
    ... The vendors of the cards prefer Intel because in ... known to work well with PV149 or Kodicom series DVR cards I'll be glad ... Is 1 PCI bus enough? ... I suspect that if you are using 5 capture cards, ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips)
  • Re: SCO Technical Articles to say "tata".
    ... > cards in a machine that needs to perform well. ... It's good that ISA ... The pci version are also much ... When they ported to sco, ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)