Re: Recovering an uninitialized NTFS hard disk

"Poldie" <Poldie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I booted from my XP SP2 CD to try and perform scandisk on a drive. (I
couldn't defrag it because there was some problem or other which
Windows suggested I run scandisk to fix). The PC loaded up the
drivers etc, but then the PC rebooted. Great. Even better, now, my
other 300gb drive is showing as "not initialized" and "unallocated"
in
the Computer Management tool. This has happened before, and I
fixed
it by initializing it, then running some freeware app to recover
files, which it sort of did, although it couldn't get everything
back,
but it was mostly ok. I have no idea why this happens. It doesn't
seem to be something which I can find references to on the net. My
PC is ok apart from this, and I have no idea why it happens. I
have
two physical drives. One is partitioned as C: and D:, which are
fine,
and the other is F:.

So my questions are:

1) Why does this happen?
2) Which app do you recommend I use to recover the data?
3) Is there a way of simply `initializing` the drive and have it
rebuild the various structures it needs to see the data which is
manifestly still perfectly intact on the drive?

You say your machine reboots, instead of loading the OS
properly ?.
See if you can start it in `Safe Mode` (dab F8 on start up)
If that works, check your Event Viewer for errors.

  • Re: Recovering an uninitialized NTFS hard disk
    ... then running some freeware app to recover ... Which app do you recommend I use to recover the data? ... Is there a way of simply `initializing` the drive and have it ... Does the BIOS see the drives? ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • OT: Recovering an NTFS drive
    ... I booted from my XP SP2 CD to try and perform scandisk on a drive. ... then running some freeware app to recover ... two physical drives. ... Which app do you recommend I use to recover the data? ...
    (uk.media.tv.misc)
  • Recovering an uninitialized NTFS hard disk
    ... I booted from my XP SP2 CD to try and perform scandisk on a drive. ... then running some freeware app to recover ... two physical drives. ... Which app do you recommend I use to recover the data? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Recovering an uninitialized NTFS hard disk
    ... I booted from my XP SP2 CD to try and perform scandisk on a drive. ... then running some freeware app to recover ... two physical drives. ... Which app do you recommend I use to recover the data? ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: USB 1 to USB 2 corruption
    ... The problem is the slave drive,it has become corrupt to the point that it cannot be read.This has occured several times in the past with different comp.I have a theory how it got corrupt....It is not a virus or malware,I know this for a fact,my system is clean.My theory involves the USB Interface.Especially with going from USB 1 to USB 2 or vice versa.I have a external box that I have the drive in,it is a USB 2 devise,and as long as I keep it attached to a comp.that has USB 2,no problems.The problems start to occur when the external is attached to a comp. ... wants to do a check disk operation at startup,then finally the drive itself cannot be read.This does not happen over few hours, rather a few months.This last time it happened,the drive was fine till I plugged it up to another comp.When I realized that it was a USB 1 port I unplugged it,that was 7 weeks ago,now as of this morning the drive cannot be read.I almost have the 1T drive full,I really don't want to loose 3 years of work.Oh I also might add that the drive cannot be formatted by any XP means,or by any tools that I had,the last time this happened I had to send the drive off to be formatted.Even my computer guru had a very hard time formatting the drive.As I mentioned both drives are sata...but it has also happened with IDE drives.Like I said before main drive still boots normally .I know this is a bit long winded, but maybe something here will help.This is not only limited to XP,it has also happened on '98,me.,2000,and also vista. ... To recover the data, you need enough space to put the recovered files. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)