Reinstalling XP when upgrading MB/CPU

MS and MS MVPs say to reinstall XP when upgrading a MB/CPU:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824125

However, I've never had to reinstall XP after upgrading a mobo/CPU. XP
has always found and installed the new hardware. When I told the MVPs
that they said I was "very lucky." What's the deal?
--
"Your estimated wait time is 8 minutes; your actual wait time may
vary." Microsoft tech support

  • Re: Problem with su -
    ... lingering problems with missing files in /root. ... Finally one didn't work and the reinstall made everything happy. ... (I got screwed by an Adaptec SCSI controller that had a firmware glitch. ... I quite upgrading after awhile and kept hand updating files. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Question re Debian versions
    ... > unstable to stable as easy as upgrading is? ... Your best bet if you don't want to reinstall is watch closely after ... sarge goes stable for a new unstable fork off to testing, ... `'` proud Debian admin and user ...
    (Debian-User)
  • why is it not possible to change hd without reinstall?
    ... I tried upgrading my hard drive from 40 Gig to 80 Gig, same manufacturer ... I failed upgrading the boot drive). ... I did not have to reinstall any software. ...
  • Re: Is this Group moderated?
    ... and to nuke and reinstall. ... that do have skill. ... day after day after day is /highly/ biased opinions on things ... the MVPs have no skin in the game on, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: what has yum update done?
    ... If it doesn't work, I reinstall. ... Being retired and having both a laptop and a desktop, I've always made sure my laptop gets upgraded first and is working properly before upgrading my desktop. ... Of course, if I were in a production environment, I'd have bitten the bullet, done a fresh install and started putting things back together, because the work I did cleaning things up simply wouldn't have been cost effective. ... And, probably, if I were working and I had this issue at home, I'd have ended up with a new install because there's only so many hours per day and so much Copious Free Time to spend cleaning up. ...
    (Fedora)