Re: can't get laptop to boot from cd

In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt "Lily" <l3456@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I need to reformat a Sony VAIO laptop. I have the OS cd, but
even though I can get it to see it, I can't get it to boot from it. I
went into setup and made cd first boot (of course) and have tried
disabling boot from anything else. It lists hard drive, floppy, cd
and network. It seems that the cd reader is slow to read,.. too
slow before it tries to boot from hard drive. If I disable hard drive,
it immediately says no os.

I have tried copying the os cd to a different brand medium thinking
that maybe it just wasn't reading that cd. Nope, no luck. I don't
know how to make it boot from network. Not sure how to do that.
I figure I would need a server (which I don't have).

any other ideas??????????

The CD is probably slightly damaged.
Five suggestions:
1. Get somebody with a desktop computer and CD-Writer
to copy your CD onto a fresh one.
(It's legal to make *backup* copies of a damaged one.)
2. Get one of these CD-Repair cleaners and polishers.
3. Call the supplier of the OS; and see if you can get
a replacement CD. Even Micro$haft will often do so.
You just keep using your original validation numbers.
4. Get a CD-drive cleaner.
5. Get a replacement CD drive.
Often CD drives deteriorate in their ability to read over time.

--
_____
/ ' / ™

  • Re: Pzavillion dv2555nr--dead video--need help
    ... Since I can't get the machine to boot, ... Does the laptop boot and display something when an external monitor is ... If so, then there hope for some sort of replacement, maybe the ... which means the motherboard is pretty useless. ...
    (comp.sys.hp.hardware)
  • Re: Pzavillion dv2555nr--dead video--need help
    ... Since I can't get the machine to boot, I have no way of looking up the nVidia model number, so I'll have to do a bit of research in that regard, but if it is replaceable, I will try to procure a replacement. ... Your best bet is to see if you can find the service manual for your model of HP laptop. ... If the nVidia chip is on the laptop motherboard, and nothing displays on LCD or external monitor, the nVidia chip is gone, which means the motherboard is pretty useless. ...
    (comp.sys.hp.hardware)
  • Tegger finally does the Tercels driveshaft boots
    ... driveshaft boots on our '99 Tercel's original left-side driveshaft. ... want to do the replacement myself. ... you probably whip through a boot ... The outer joint's grease was more what I ...
    (rec.autos.tech)
  • Re: resetting iBook after ginger ale bath
    ... There is a web site on the internet that will sell you replacement parts. ... With the power adapter plugged in and attempted to boot it. ... Holding down the c key and pressing the power ... Target mode doesn't work now, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: DEC 3000/900 bootup problem
    ... Some updates on my bootup problem... ... I ordered a replacement I/O board. ... get attempt to boot. ... As far as I can tell this replacement board is defective. ...
    (comp.os.vms)