Re: Troubleshooting a failing system

Any ideas on how/what to check for in the PS? Last time I bought a new
PS from Fry's, when my machine failed with that installed I returned
the power supply to Fry's, but I think that is unethical since they
then had to mark the PS down to a lower price. Hate to have to do it to
them again.

I did run two different memory test programs (Memtest and a MS-based
utility) on all the memory (512M), and checked the individual memory
sticks to make sure they all reported the correct amount of memory
through the BIOS.

I'm very loath to replace the motherboard, since the Win98 I have is
the manufacturer's restore disks for the system and I'm not sure it'll
work on a new processor. As it is, after I replaced the HD, I found
that MS wasn't supporting Win98 anymore and I couldn't get the browser
updated or any security patches, hence I now run the machine in
dual-boot mode.

JAD wrote:
check the power supply (again)
remove any extra memory (leave 1 module in it)
what OS? check XP event log?

Computers do have a limited life time , NOBODY can (including johns),
predict when the end will be. 3 years, as some people would like you to
believe, is unreasonable.